Trying to make a Grub boot-floppy [solved]

satelliteuser083

I'm trying to create a GRUB boot floppy-disk, using the instructions contained in:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p15...oppy_howto_make

Things go reasonably well up to the line "grub> find /boot/grub/stage1", where Grub cannot find the 'stage1' file on the floppy. This file definitely is there and Grub also addresses the floppy during the 'find' process, but somehow can't see the file. Or, if it can see it, Grub apparently does not recognise it as a correct file. The FDD is a USB device, I've changed BIOS to allow boot from it (and, in fact, BIOS can boot from it; I've tried that with a Win95 mini-system), and now I'm stumped :unsure: . Can anyone help me further down the line? Thanks.

Where is the stage1 file on the floppy?

From the command that it's trying to issue, it looks like it should be in /boot/grub, is that where it is?

I have never tried to make a grub boot floppy, always installed grub to the mbr. Any particular reason that you're using the floppy method?

The problem seems to boil down to the fact that grub can't (or won't) recognise the USB-FDD :unsure: (which is known as /media/floppy). Using a desktop with an internal FDD (known as /mnt/fd0) the procedure described above - herman's - works perfectly. Please note that it is important to stick closely to this procedure; I tried a shortcut and the boot-floppy failed. Many thanks, liquidzoo, and many thanks, Herman. :thumbs: :thumbs: