what is mingetty.....

chris z

.......& what does it do? is it needed? still learning here. i read the manpage about it, but i'm still lost. when i go to terminal & run "ps a", i get this

PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND

1786 vc/1     S      0:00 /sbin/mingetty tty1

1787 vc/2     S      0:00 /sbin/mingetty tty2

1788 vc/3     S      0:00 /sbin/mingetty tty3

1789 vc/4     S      0:00 /sbin/mingetty tty4

1790 vc/5     S      0:00 /sbin/mingetty tty5

1791 vc/6     S      0:00 /sbin/mingetty tty6

3361 pts/2    S      0:00 bash

3391 pts/2    R      0:00 ps a

why are 6 of these processes running? do they take up memory? decrease performance? as always, i searched the forum & Googled without any satisfactory answers before i posted.

TIA,

Chris

I believe it's being used to connect your virtual consoles to an actual terminal on your system. i think this is normal activity, and you should not be worried-it is needed. i would double check, but not at a linux systam ATM.

to give a little more info, mingetty is a minimal implimintation of getty specifically for virtual consoles. your virtual consoles can be accessed by pressing ctrl-alt-Fx (where x is the # of the virtual console). virtual consoles 1-6 are command line, while virtual consoles 7-12 (i think it goes to 12?) are graphical interfaces for use with X-Windows/XFree86. mingetty doesn't need to run on 7-12 since they aren't going to be running a shell/command line. however, it needs to be running to loop your virtual consoles to an actual terminal, as terminals are identified by devfs as /dev/ttyx (where x is, get this, the # of the terminal).

atleast, that's my understanding ;-) I'm sure aru will pop in and correct me :)