Can't see all Samba shares from the server

Guest stodge

Guest stodge

I have a Samba share setup on my Linux server for my user account, which is called "mike". I log into my Mdk 9.1 client as "mike" and I want to be able to mount this exported share. I can use the network browser feature of Konq to view most of the shares from the server except for the share "mike".

How can I set a default user for browsing account shares like this? In the Mdk Control Center Samba mount points app, account shares aren't listed.

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks

I'd try and set it via the CLI, Webmin or SWAT.

You probably just don't have the permissions set properly

I still use SWAT cos Ive been doing it a long time....

Now for some ranting....

Don't take this personally its just IMHO and my 2c on using SAMBA between 2 linux PC's.

Firstly SAMBA is great, brilliant, I love it....

BUT

Its for Windows machines to use Linux filesystems... as such its a cludge and not really very neat. Now going into lecture mode :wink:

Use nfs ... its ridiculously easy once you learn it and its faster, more secure and uses less resources.

Again you can set it up under webmin, linuxconf or I guess the Draktools. I prefer the CLI.....

Its REALLY easy::

Heres my /etc/exportfs

/home 172.16.122.0/255.255.255.0(insecure,no_root_squash,rw)

This expoorts the /home directory to all local PC's in the 172.16.122.x range.

You can also use a hostname or domain name like

/home .home.net (insecure,no_root_squash,rw)

You can specify by user etc. set it rw (like above) and control if root can write and if so how.

After you have set this file up, whether by hand, webmin or whatever you need to 'push it'

exportfs -ra

will refresh this.

On a client you would type

mount 172.16.122.1 :/home /mnt/home

assuming my ip address on the server is ....1

It will automatically mount it as -t nfs but you can be explicit if you want.

Thats it

Given your /mnt delays you could put this under /mount

If you want it mounting automatically you put it in the /etc/fstab...

There is no reason why the same directory can't be shared with both Samba and NFS. Its just NFS is a lot cleaner...

Guest stodge

Thanks for the ranting. :) I do know a bit about nfs but my server already has Samba exports set up so I just used those without considering nfs. As bad as that may be! I'm not even sure the server has nfs installed. I'm not a great sys admin, and I'm just worried that installing nfs (or anything else on my server) would make it insecure. Currently it only opens certains ports to the internet. I think it only allows access to certain websites to people on the net and that's it. So I'm just scared of making it insecure. I'll look into nfs though.

Thanks for your help. :)

Guest tezca

sorry, dont mean to come off the wrong way, but I want to help you,

you said your server is connected to the net and has some ports open that people on the net can connect to you think....

is this what you want?

becuase you shouldn't have it set like that unless someone has a valid reason for getting into your server, like if you go to work and you need files via ftp or something like that.

You said you have a samba share on the server where do you connect from home or work?

my reasons for asking this are that perhaps it would be better to set up a ftp server, "more secure than dealing with nfs or samba"

also nfs should only be accessed from behind the firewall and just to get it to work through the firewall can be tricky

so post back and we will help, but please be clear about what you need and where it has to be accessed from

• 2 weeks later...
I have a Samba share setup on my Linux server for my user account, which is called "mike". I log into my Mdk 9.1 client as "mike" and I want to be able to mount this exported share. I can use the network browser feature of Konq to view most of the shares from the server except for the share "mike".

KDE Control Center->Local Network Browsing->Windows Shares, fill in "Default Username", "Default Password", "Default Workgroup" is really only necessary if you are connecting to machines that members of a Windows domain.

Or, if you type in the address bar of Konqueror:

smb://user@server/

Then you should get a username/password prompt.

How can I set a default user for browsing account shares like this? In the Mdk Control Center Samba mount points app, account shares aren't listed.

Mandrake Control Center doesn't have support for authenticating before listing the shares on the server.

I'd try and set it via the CLI, Webmin or SWAT.

You probably just don't have the permissions set properly

Mandrake's default config has everything set right, any user should be able to access their home directory as a share with their username.

I still use SWAT cos Ive been doing it a long time....

Please, consider carefully before suggesting SWAT to newbies, ksambaplugin in contrib is a better tool, and if you *must* have remote use, either ssh+vi or webmin instead.

Now for some ranting....

Don't take this personally its just IMHO and my 2c on using SAMBA between 2 linux PC's.  

Firstly SAMBA is great, brilliant, I love it....

BUT  

Its for Windows machines to use Linux filesystems... as such its a cludge and not really very neat.

Not totally, samba has support for the unix extensions, which allows more of the features NFS allows (ie creating symlinks, named pipes etc), but we need the CIFS filesystem in the kernel to use it from the client side.

Now going into lecture mode :wink:  

Use nfs ... its ridiculously easy once you learn it and its faster, more secure and uses less resources.  

The "more secure" isn't always totally accurate BTW ... especially if you do this:

/home 172.16.122.0/255.255.255.0(insecure,no_root_squash,rw)

You shouldn't suggest to anyone to use no_root_squash without at least warning them that they have now given any user who can get root priveleges on any machine in your subnet rights to do what they like with everyone else's files you have shared on your NFS server. ie, if someone boots knoppix up on one of your machines, they can get to any files on /home on your server!

So, don't unnecessarily use no_root_squash, there's a good reason why root_squash is the default.