Installing VMware with the MM Kernel

Hi,

I'm trying to get VMware 4 running. Here is the error I get when I run the vmware-config.pl script:

The directory of kernel headers (version 2.4.21-0.18mdk) does not match your

running kernel (version 2.4.21-0.16mm-mdk).  Even if the module were to compile

successfully, it would not load into the running kernel.

According to urpmi I have the mm kernel sources installed. Any ideas? I could just boot the regular kernel, but I like the patches applied to the MM kernel.

Thanks!

--Andrew

I'm running the multimedia kernel. It has patches that are supposed to improve responsiveness and such. VMware is looking for the kernel sources to build some modules with, but the sources it's finding aren't matching the kernel I'm running. When i point the script to the sources (/usr/src/linux-2.4.21-0.16mm-mdk/include), it says that:

The directory of kernel headers (version 2.4.21-0.16mm-mdkcustom) does not match

your running kernel (version 2.4.21-0.16mm-mdk).

I tried editing the makefile with no luck :-(

Thanks!

--Andrew

thats an odd one.

I wonder what the difference between the 2 is. have you added your own patches or optimizations to the kernel that would warrant its being called mdkcustom?

I haven't downloaded any patches other than what's applied to the kernel RPM. I *have* tried compiling my own from these sources, but I had problems and left it at that.

What I don't understand: The Makefile in the top directory has an entry that says "mdk-custom". Since changing that didn't help, where else would VMware look for the verison of the kernel sources that it is being pointed to?

--Andrew

I think it looks to:

/usr/src/kernelversion

But I really have no idea what to tell you here. short of having your system run on the stock kernel again, I don't know where to go with this. When I get to school tommorrow where I have VMWare running, I'll toy around with it some more.

just had 2 thoughts.

1. Is there an include dir in the directory where the custom kernel sits?

2. I wonder if there is a way to generate a new kernel source directory based on the mdk-custom kernel.

I reinstalled the kernel sources, and VMware found what it was looking for! The directory was /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.16mm-mdk/build/include. Thanks for the help!

--Andrew