DVD burning question

I downloaded the dvd+/-rw tools from here:

http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/tools/

which use growisofs to burn DVDs. The page here:

http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/#growisofs

says that growisofs "... just passes all command line arguments to mkisofs and dumps its output directly onto the media..."

Now my question. I am burning backup images of my system that I made with partimage and I had made an image of /usr that I called 91usr.partimg.gz and of course partimage named it 91usr.partimg.gz.000 Well, I made a change to /usr and made a new image for it with the same exact name. I assumed that I could:

growisofs -M /dev/scd1 -R -J /mnt/win_e/91usr.partimg.gz.000

and it would just overwrite the image on the disk. The problem is that the disk already contains 4.1 GB of info and trying to issue that command gives me this error:

:-( next session would cross 4GB boundary, aborting...

So, I had to copy it to my second backup disk and made a note on my cover not to use the one on the first disk. Is there a way to actually remove the file from the disk without damaging the other stuff or having to reformat and start over? I tried editing my fstab to make it mountable as rw like this:

/dev/scd1 /mnt/cdrom2 auto user,umask=0,exec,codepage=850,rw,noauto 0 0

but when I mount it, it says that the disk is write-protected, so it is mounted read-only and I cannot rm -f that image (I don't even know if I could do it that way even if it mounts rw). It is a DVD+RW disk.

If my understanding of CD-RW and DVD-RW is correct, you can't only remove one file from a CD/DVD-RW, you have to format the disk and start over with a clean disk containing not files. I could be wrong, but that's the way I always understood it....