seti@home

ab2ms

As many of you can see on the stats page of our seti group, I haven't contributed a workunit in some time. Seti@home always ran in the background on tty3 and I usually forgot all about it. All was well, and it didn't seem to interfere with anything.

Sounds like a story too good to be true, alas that scene has come to a halt, in fact when I try to run seti my whole system comes to a halt........ total lock-up.

I deleted everything and tried over.....same. I just noticed a new version, same results. Anyone had this problem, or even have any ideas? I start it, and within a couple minuted......... lockup! nothing but a good old fashioned reset will get me out. So at the moment I can't run seti :cry:

Which version of seti are you running? Maybe it would help if you switched from i386 to i686 or vice-versa.

Any other details? Mine runs 24-hours/day with no problem.

I've just joined seti@home (and the Mandrake Users Board group) a few days ago and have been running this version, setiathome-3.08.i686-pc-linux-gnu, for a few hours a day without problems so far. I start it manually with the -verbose option, for the moment, using Konsole.

Did you recently change something to your system?

Mike

MDK9.1, KDE, AMD Athlon 2100+.

I tried the same version as mikeoneil, and I tried last night to get my folding@2home

client running again while seti is off but that program did the same, so the problem seems a little deeper. Both programs I erased everything and downloaded the latest and greatest, started it and after a few minutes it locked..... couldn't switch terminals, no keyboard or mouse response, nothing. Don't know of anything I changed with the system, but both progs lock up....... the plot thickens.

I had a similar problem with an earlier version of seti@home, but the problem turned out to be hardware. When I checked over my box I noticed that cooling fan on my CPU wasn't seated properly and it reseating it seemed to fix the problem. A program like seti does a lot of floating point calcs and will keep your CPU very busy. That generates heat. This may not be your problem, but the symptoms are the same, so it would hurt to check that your system is being efficiently cooled.