basic networking - homework assignment

Guest FenestraeNunquam

Guest FenestraeNunquam

I'm supposed to do a network diagram showing 3 buildings networked together. The buildings are close to each other. I am supposed to show computers, hubs, routers, bridges, servers, switches and whatnot and how they would connect to each other.

What I have so far for the 1st bldg (22 computers) is 2 hubs connecting all the computers, 2 network printers, a router, a dsl modem and the network server. I suppose the router would physically connect to the next bldg (which has 14 computers). My question is: does the router in the first bldg have to connect to a router in the 2nd bldg, or can it connect to another hub in the 2nd bldg? In other words, do all 3 bldgs need routers, or does just the main bldg need a router that connects to hubs in the other 2 bldgs....?

BTW - the textbook is a 1999 book, so some stuff in it seems a little out of date... And I don't think this scenario would require switches or bridges would it ?

And some employees are supposed to be able to "dial in" and remotely access the main server...

thanks in advance

Guest FenestraeNunquam

You mean the buildings? The are adjacent to each other - all on the same city block.

The textbook seems to hint that they would be physically connected by fiber optic cabling, but specifies I should discuss the pros/cons of wireless connections between buildings.

Guest GhostDX
My question is:  does the router in the first bldg have to connect to a router in the 2nd bldg, or can it connect to another hub in the 2nd bldg?  In other words, do all 3 bldgs need routers, or does just the main bldg need a router that connects to hubs in the other 2 bldgs....?

Well, I'm not going to do your homework for you, because you won't learn that way, but I think I can help. Think of a router as a traffic cop. If you had 1 person in one building and 1 person in another building and their 2 computers were connected would you use a router? Probably not.

But if you have 30 people in Building 1 (10 in accounting, 10 in sales, 10 in Tech support) and 20 in Building 2 (10 in Engineering, 10 in Management), then the information being sent from one building to another may need to be directed, so that it gets to the correct group. That's where routers come in. This allows you to split off the individual groups so the network in not bogged down with unnecessary network traffic.

If tech support is sending info engineering, accounting doesn't need that info on their portion of the network.

BTW - the textbook is a 1999 book, so some stuff in it seems a little out of date...  And I don't think this scenario would require switches or bridges would it ?

Switches are quite common today. Switches are a little smarter than hubs. Help reduce network traffic by sending them to correct computer instead of everywhere. Your book should have the difference between hubs and switches. Once i learned about switches and said I would never use a hub again. :)

And some employees are supposed to be able to "dial in" and remotely access the main server...

Might be able to set up a server to do that....

Hope this helps.

Guest FenestraeNunquam

ok thanks. I don't need anybody to do my homework for me, but this is an online class, so I don't have the option to ask the teacher after class.

Anyway, since I am using Edge Diagrammer from Pacestar to do my network diagrams, it is pretty easy to change devices and connections.

I changed my "hubs" to "switching hubs" on my diagrams. My old 1999 book does in fact mention the differences between hubs & switches, and also discusses that some hubs are smarter than others (ie: switching hubs).

Bldg 1 has over 20 computers, Bldg 2 has less than 20, Blsg 3 only has 4. I have my little "sub networks" diagrammed in each bldg.

I also put a DSL internet connection in the main bldg, even though my assignment did not mention the internet. Maybe I'll get extra credit for it... :D

From what I understand, even though each bldg is a LAN unto itself, everything is still accessible from LAN to LAN, and also that the internet connection in the main bldg is usuable from any bldg.... I'm just trying to get my terminology correct here... is each Bldg a separate LAN, or are all 3 Bldgs just one LAN..?