How to Configure Internet And Networking

Guest amismandrek

Guest amismandrek

Hello,

I just know Installed Mandrake 9.0 on my Mercury Board with Celleron processor. But unfortunately I am not able to

access the Internet with this machine. I goggled for this and found that MCC has a place to configure this but it seems my

control centre doesn't have this configuration. My system is on the LAN and I am able to reach the other machine but am not

able to go beyond the FireWall for which I think that there is problem with the GateWay configuration on eth1 but I am not

aware as to how do I change these configurations. Could anybody guide a way out or suggest some suitable guide for this.

Thanks,

Amit

a little more info would be helpful:

you mention eth1, which makes me wonder what are you using eth0 for? having eth1 implies you have to NIC cards (eth0 and eth1), so what is the setup you have? i.e. what does eth0 connect to, and what does eth1 connect to? by firewall, do you mean a cable/dsl router with a firewall? what sort of internet connection do you have?

with these questions answered, we can provide better and more specific help.

and welcome to the board ;-)

I know I post this a lot, but I would first check all teh firewall-settings.....you can go through a lot of trouble, whiel it may be soemthing like this...

you can type "shorewall clear" as root in a shell and then try again...this disables your firewall(to be completely sure..). If it works, you know it's the firewall of linux....to start it again...:): "shorewall start"

("shorewall stop" blocks all traffic..)

Guest amismandrek

Hi Thanks for the replies.

When I say eth1 I mean that I have onfigured dual IP on this machine. One is local IP used for the LAN and the other is a Live IP ( provided by the Intenet Service Provider). I am successfuly able to access all the machines in LAN but I am not able to go beyond my Router. For which I am sure that I have a wrongly configured GateWay.

I need to find out the procedure to configure the GateWay for eth1. Above all, as read in the manulas Mandrake has a easy methid to configure networking in MCC but it seems this option is not available under my MCC. Did I make a mistake while installation?? On the Desktop I can also see NetConf but on clicking this it does not get any display for me??? I do not know why.

I also tried running netconf executable directly but no results. Indeed under /sbin/netconf I see a link to /etc/linuxconf but this does not execute.

One last question, is the setting under /etc/linuxconf the same as the one in /etc/sysconfig?

Thanks to all the open source promoters for there ever helping MINDS!!!

Truly,

Amit

Amit, by default netconf only runs as root.

You can either sudo it or run it as root.

If you run as root you must first give root access to your desktop since it is owned by your user.

The way I do it is opern a console as user

xhost + [enter]

su -

netconf &

To get to the Wizards start Mandrake Control Centre (MCC)

you will be prompted for root's password as it sudo's

Then click on networking ...

The wizard 'should be there'

If not go to packaging - add programs and search on DRAK or WIZ

This should install the utilites from your CD's

Good luck

Guest amismandrek

Hi guys,

Thank you very much for all the help. I was able to resolve the issue. I think the only problem was that I was not a root.

Any hints as to which all files were updated during this process?

Amit

A good policy to know what updated.

Try find /etc -atime 1 (files modified in last 24 hours)

find /etc/ -amin 60 (last hour) etc etc.

I think youll find the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts

and depending what you changed /etc/resolve.conf (/etc/hosts)

Its a long list .... try the -amin before you get more files :-)

I think its OK from /etc but I might be wrong ...