wrong clock time

Guest llorgge

Guest llorgge

I'm a noobie and I just recently installed Mandrake and ever since my clock has decided to set itself eight hours behind whatever I set it. As far as I can tell, it's not set to GMC time, nor can I understand why it would put it eight hours back (hawaiian time?). If the battery on my motherboard were going, wouldn't it slowly lose time instead of always being exactly eight hours slow?

Thanks for any help!

run as root "timeconfig" and select the right time zone, also set the clock acordingly to what you had in your bios, ie: if the bios says that the clock is set to local time, then select localtime; and if the bios says that the clock is set to UTC then select UTC

Guest llorgge

My bios clock seems to be right as well as all the appropriate settings (time zone, utc, gmt, etc.), so I'm very confused.

I tried running "timeconfig" from the command line (as root) and it told me that command didn't exist.

Last night I manually set the clock and the time stayed correct all until this morning. I logged out and then immediately back in (which causes monitor problems, but that's another story) and it was four hours behind this time. Some times the time stays stable and some times I'll come back only to have it either four or eight hours off... and it's only hours, never minutes.

with the erratic behaviour you're experiencing, I would check the BIOS battery...(on your motherboard, looks like a big watch battery)

but just to be sure, have you checked the time in your BIOS to see if it's changing (get into BIOS by pressing F2 or possibly DEL or some other key on startup before you get to LILO)? Or are you going purely on what the clock displayed on your desktop says?

p.s.-welcome to the board!

Guest llorgge

So I checked my BIOS clock and sure enough it had changed. When I logged back in, it was four hours earlier. I restarted my computer and checked the BIOS clock again and it was the wrong time. Something changed the BIOS clock between loading Mandrake and completion. I don't know if "it" changed both clocks or one was affected by the other.

Guest llorgge

The clock definitely sets itself back four hours when I logout and back in, but I have no way to tell if it does during the startup as well. Every time I log out and back in, it sets the BIOS clock back four hours. If I log out and back in twice, it sets it back eight hours (what I did earlier), one for each time.

Any ideas??

You do not have timeconfig installed. Get from software manager, or in a term, type

urpmi tymeconfig

Though i doubt thats the problem, im thinking battery :?

Guest llorgge

I installed timeconfig and my settings are all correct but I still have the same problem.

Though i doubt thats the problem, im thinking battery

The thing I'm wondering about that, if my battery were dying, wouldn't it just slowly lose time, like a couple of minutes every day or so instead of four hours only when I logout and back in again?

urpmi tymeconfig

Was that a purposeful misspell or is my handle just infectious?? :lol:

did you check MCC to make sure it's set to the right time zone? (just a thought... :? )

... but you are dual booting with M$windows? aren't you?

Are you sure that you set timeconfig to use 'localtime'? not only the right time zone, but the 'hardware clock is set to localtime' parameter is on and is true (your bios clock is set to localtime). M$Windows is a really dumb OS and doesn't handle real UTC (at least the version I have). Also is a very egoistic OS, so when it gets the chance it changes the hardware clock to what it guess is the right hour, hence your problem. I may be wrong, but I suggest you to set all three clocks (M$windows, linux and BIOS) to localtime with the right time zone.

Probably this weekend I'll write a FAQ about this issue.

Meanwhile you can understand what is happening by reading: http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Clock.html

I've done a lot of mandrake 9.1 installs here in timezone CEST and I always have problems with the timezone.

Usually machines we use here at work are set to localtime (instead of UTC/GMT) and I don't bother changing that, however that may also cause these problems.

The thing is, during install, the time settings are almost always f*ckd up by drakx (the defaults aren't right and when selecting a country, the timezone isn't adjusted or even set) so you have to remember to set them all manually.

After rebooting the time is nearly always 2 hours ahead (the difference between UTC and localtime in summer). usually this can be adjusted by selecting the timezone and setting the right time (note that you have to select the TZ again!). I usually do this from KDE by right clicking on the clock in the panel and selecting adjust date and time.

I've also seen a laptop that is not fixed by this, it just keeps adjusting the time by 2 hours everytime it boots. (no windows installed).

A solution would be to show the time on the hwclock to decide which timezone is in there. (Debian does this, never gives me problems, but then again, you don't want debian stable on a desktop ;-)

Nobody's perfect, but I hope this bug is fixed in 9.2 when it comes out.

Cheers

Simon