Difficulties playing DVD's [solved]

satelliteuser083

I'm completely new to playing DVD's on my linux-box, so please excuse me if this is a daft question. When I tried to play a perfectly legally-bought DVD, using Kaffeine in 2007, I got the following error-message:

The source seems encrypted, and can't be read. 
Your DVD is probably crypted. According to your country laws, you can or can't use libdvdcss to be able to read this disc. (Media stream scrambled/encrypted)

I couldn't find 'libdvdcss' but did find 'libdvdcss2', which I installed. Now, on playing the DVD, the error- message is:

The source can't be read.
Maybe you don't have enough rights for this, or source doesn't contain data (e.g: no disc in drive). (Error reading from DVD.)

Is there a simple way around this problem, or is the operation impossible? Thanks

[moved from Networking by Greg2]

It could be a permissions problem from the "enough rights" issue. I'm unable to check now, but you might need to add yourself to a group - however, I've never had to do this to playback a DVD though. Some distros require you adding to certain groups before you can do certain things.

Find the mount point, if it is like /media/dvd or whatever, and check by:

ls -l /media

and look against dvd or whatever the mount point directory is and check the group assignment. Then add yourself to this group to see if it works:

gpasswd -a username groupname
gpasswd -a ian cdrom

for example, above would add ian to the cdrom group. As I said, I dunno if this is the problem or not, but a possible.

Welcome to MUB.

This may sound a daft question but have you logged out then back in again since installing libdvdcss ???. If not then I suggest you do so.

I have NEVER had to do mucking around with permissions or adding to groups or whatever.

Cheers. John.

Thank you Kieth.

I took it myself.

I eventually realized that the earlier picture that I uploaded was rectangular and that the way I incorrectly installed it in the MUB process, it converted it to square with the result that it made me look very much fatter in the face. I often wondered about it but never bothered too much about it to look into it.

Much happier now. :D :D

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Hello jiangyanjia.

Welcome to MUB if you haven't already been welcomed.

We do try to help when we can so never be shy about airing any Mandriva problems (or even other OSs) you might experience.

We have all been newbies.

Cheers. John.