NTFS resized successfully but ADSL doesn't work

Guest oberon

Guest oberon

Hello Everyone!

I am new to Linux but just managed to install Mandrake 9.1 and, to my surprise, without significant problems. The only problem is that I cannot connect to the Internet.

I've got an ADSL connection. It seeems that MDK defined my Ethernet card successfully and sees it as eth0. I managed to dig out from XP a lot of different configurations info: IP address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, DHCP Server, DNS Servers,...

But when I tried to use connection wizard it asks me about DHCP client and I don't know where to get it. Also at some stage it asks about Zeroconf address or something like that and after I tried a couple of times to enter there different stuff as a guess, it just hanged up.

Could you please help me? Unfortunately I know very little about networking for now...

I just left it blank,

This is coming to you over it so its working.

It takes quite a while to find the dhcp though, 20-30 secs but I don't do it often!!

However,

I'm assuming you have an ethernet ASDL modem???

Drake will set a bridged device, mine was eth0:9

Then it routes packets for the default gateway through this.

If this is what you have beware it gives me 2 IP addresses, one for the virtual eth. Its working but not optimal with regard to my internal NW.

Well, i had a quick dabble last night.

I tried 3 PC's and each one just used the defaults except i manually selected ADSL instread of my NIC.

It all works for internet conenctions, except my router/bridge will only work on one at a time.

I'm sure there are many ways round this but I'm going to try the simplest one (IMHO) which is to stick a 2nd NIC in the PC closest to the router/hub and connect it directly to it instead of through a hub.

I'll give the second a static IP in my internal RFC range and use iptables to route across them.

Guest oberon

Thank you very much, but unfortunately I understood very little of your last letter. :(

For example, I don't know what is NIC, RFC range, iptables... Just never had a need before to find my way in networking.

I am going now to try the wizard once again, leaving the fields for which I have no information blanc, and give it enough time to figure out everything by itself.

Guest oberon

The Wizard finished its work with congratulations and promised to apply all the settings to the system. I tried to push the Connect button at the same window where there is Wizard button, but Wizard appeared again and I repeated everything with the same congratulations :?

However after I closed the Control Center and the settings were applied, there was no Internet connection. I mean that when I opened a Konqueror window and tried to connect to different Mandrake websites it said something like such address doesn't exist.

What I think can be wrong is that I didn't enter my Internet login and password in any place. How could it connect without them? And where can I enter them?

Sorry, I had a meeting to go to and I abbreviated....

Glossary:

NIC = Network Interface Card (network card)

RFC = Request for Comments but in this context refers to reserved IP addresses which are not allowed on the www You can use these in your home/office etc. but then they are translated by your router. This is called NAT or Nwtwork address Translation.

Now you see why we abbr. !!!

OK, so are you using a DSL (modem) which connects to your network card? or a USB one. Its important to know which.

If you sucessfully followed the instructions and it all worked while in the internet Conenction Wizard then you have internet access, you need to turn it on. I chose the start at boot option but its not the best security wise. I'm assuming you didn't ...

I'm not usre exactly how you start it but I'll assume its a virtual device for PPP . Point to Point Protocol. PPPoe means PPP over ethernet.

If this was a network card youd type (as root)

ifup eth0

I guess you have a ppp zero so you could try

ifup ppp0

You are right that you need to supply your password/username. Mine was prompted in the 9.1 I'm on NT right now so I can't be more sure.

Perhaps theres a tag, if someone else want to please fell free cos I can't test this till I get home. My laptop is MDK 9.0 and this prompted me as well so im not sure why yours didn't prompt!

Perhaps now you know let the wizard do its magic again. This time looking for the username password :-)

You can stop once it says its connected and actually open a web browser. I did, then you know its really working, not just saying it does.

Guest oberon

Yes, I am using a DSL modem connected to my network card.

Here is the description of my tonights attempts which unfortunately failed again.

1. I opened Mandrake Control Center.

2. Went to Network & Internet page.

3. Launched DrakConnect.

4. Started Wizard. In the first dialogue left checked "Use autodetection".

5. 2nd dialogue: choose the connection you want to configure. "LAN connection - ethernet card(s) detected" was already checked, I added to it ADSL connection, since this is what I really use. In my other attempts I tried to leave only ADSL checked, it doesn't solve the problem.

6. 3rd dialogue says "The most common way to connect with adsl is pppoe. Some connections use pptp, a few use dhcp. If you don't know, use pppoe". In my first attempts I left pppoe but invariably failed. Then digging in XP I found a phrase "Address Type: Assigned by DHCP". So I decided that I've got a DHCP connection and in the following attempts used DHCP. Let's suppose I've chosen "use dhcp" in this dialogue.

7. In the 4th dialogue I left checked "Automatic IP (bootp/dhcp/zeroconf).

8. In the 5th dialogue textfield "Zeroconf Host name" I left empty.

9. After pressing "Next" button the 4th and then 5th dialogues appeared - this happens if I leave both LAN and ADSL in the 2nd dialogue. I just repeated the same input.

10. The dialogue became empty. After some period of time it displayed: "Congratulations, the network and Internet configuration is finished. The configuration will now be applied to your system". I pressed "Finished" button.

In the DrakConnect the following was displayed:

Type: lan

Gateway: 10.120.0.1 (I entered it in one of my attempts with pppoe probably)

I pressed the "Connect" button. The "Network Monitoring" window opened. There was some activity in it and the lights of DSL modem were flashing as if something was happening. However I noticed that my computer sends something but receives nothing. And the report was:

Connection failed. Verify your configuration in the Mandrake Control Center.

I also tried pppoe again. This is where I could enter login and password and other information. But whatever I entered here, I failed to connect.

Also, when Mandrake is loading, it stops for quite a long time at the line "Bringing up interface eth0" but then passes it with OK.

I think I'll stop now and try anything else tomorrow...

Checking the ADSL connection is for using a dsl modem that is internally installed into one of your PCI slots on the motherboard. You are using an ethernet connection. ;)

Zeroconf HN leave empty

Be sure you check the DHCP client checkbox for the ethernet card (unless your IP in windows is set rather than "Obtain IP Automatically")

Also - are you using a speedtouch or alcatel or what? What brand of (a) NIC & (B) ADSL modem do you have? The more details we get the better.

Also, when Mandrake is loading, it stops for quite a long time at the line "Bringing up interface eth0" but then passes it with OK.

Yeah - that's good, it takes a while because it contacts the DHCP server for an IP address for you. If (later, when you aren't a n00b) you'll be playing with a LAN and you can use static IP's (IP's' you decide) - then it'll start up faster.

Cheers! We'll get this thing working!

When you go through and select the pppoe it should prompt you with password/username.

You also need to fill in your service providor.

you might have to put : in my case its wandadoo

wanadoo.fr

With your username password you may ot may not need to add @wanadoo.fr on the end. Some need it others don't it depends on the ISP.

If you haven't set username/password it won't work..

Your definately conencting if you get the delay (probably)

type ifconfig as root.

You should have a eth0 (assigned an IP)

You should probably also have a ppp0

If you don't you can try stopping and starting the device

ifdown etho (this will disable it)

ifup eth0 (this should restart, watch for it finding the dhcp address)

static:

I checked the ADSL...its working right now and I redid it.

I think,( im not sure this is needed to get it to add the pppsecrets....)

When you get to the NIC config it warns you its already set up for Internet so don't touch anything, just next.

This has just worked but it depends on you ISP exacly what to supply.

The DHCP assigns you an IP address, it isn't mutually exclusive from pppoe. Your ISP might use the router to assign the password etc. instead of the connection,

if you say where you are, what brand and model of MODEM and your ISP some helpful person will be better able to help. see statics questions.

Guest oberon

Hello Everyone!!!

This is definitely the most effective forum I've ever seen! I strongly believe that with your help I'll handle this problem one day. But not yet, not yet... :cry:

Here is the report of my tonights' attempt.

Yes, about my NIC and modem.

The card is Realtek RTL 8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC and it was perfectly found by Mandrake.

The modem is Alcatel Speed Touch Home. I didn't find any other markings on it.

So armed with your advices I tried the following:

1. Started the Wizard. Left "Use auto detection" checked.

2. "Choose the connection you want to configure". I left checked LAN connection and didn't add ADSL as I tried before.

3. "Configuring network device eth0 (driver 8139too)" - checked "Automatic IP".

4. Zeroconf Host name - left it blank.

5. After some delay received congratulations. There were no prompts for login, password or anything else. I couldn't choose pppoe or whatever.

By the way, I always had Internet login and password given to me by local ISP when I started to connect via dial-up. When people came from the telephone company to install ADSL, they gave me an additional password, as I understood, to connect with ADSL server. So, if I'll ever find where to enter password, which one should I enter?

6. I pressed OK button and for about half a minute was contemplating a "Please wait... Applying the configuration" message.

7. Launched DrakConnect again. Status: Not connected. Below, in "LAN configuration":

Interface: eth0

IP address: <blank>

Protocol: dhcp

Driver: 8139too

State: up

8. Pressed "Connect" button. "Network Monitoring" window started drawing some nice lines, but the result was still "Not connected".

9. Tried to switch into Expert mode. "Configure Internet Access" button - the dialogue asked only for Gateway. I made it blank, tried to connect. no result.

10. In Expert mode opened "LAN configuration". In the dialogue there were:

IP address: 10.0.0.10

Netmask: 255.255.255.0

Boot protocol: dhcp

Started on boot: yes

DHCP client: <blank>

Tried to enter IP and Netmask which I found in XP, just to try something. No difference.

Funny thing: when I tried to run Wizard in expert mode, at the stage "Configuring network device" all the buttons disappeared. No "Next", nothing. So the only thing I could do was to close the dialogue.

There is such a feeling that there is some configuration file with all the data somehow filled in, and Drak Connect just doesn't work properly to change those data...

Sorry, ive been away for the weekend :-) basking in the sun...

OK your NIC config is correct, I have the realtek in my laptop so that works.

Looking at your location I see its cyprus I should have looked ...

I think we have another cypriot user... maybe the same ISP so they might know specifics for them.

LAN connection is designed so if you were in a office where you had a permanent internet connection it would connect through that. In other words its non-specific, it assumaes the device on the other end knows how to send your request to the internet.

When you choose ADSL its more specific, by default it uses pppoe. Its difficult to be very specific becuase so much is based on your ISP.

There are different methods of authentification and I guess all your documentation is in greek. This makes it difficult to transfer acronyms and abbreviations directly.

I'm not use how much they stick to the charecter sets in documentation. I'm used to French translations of abbreviations but it can be confusing when you don't know what the actual abbreviations stand for. You have an extra charecter set to deal with which adds an extra level of complexity.

PPP means point to point but do they call it (Im to lazy to post greek charecters from NT sorry) Pi Pi Pi or do they translate it and use abbreviations??? ie. X, Y, Z (I guess Y would represent alpha for apo (alpha pi omega).....

Anyway, what Im trying to say is your authentification on your ISP is defined under a file called ppp.secrets. I don't know PPP specificaiton OR if they do charecterset transliteration. (Don't post your password/username becuase this board is open and ANYONE can read it although the memebers are very nice people, I agree :-))

Anyway, is your password username in GREEK or LATIN characters ???

I've tried and sucessfully used both LAN and ADSL from the same set-up toy have but it only asks for the password in ADSL setup. You can use the command line utility to do it but its more complicated. I had to becuase once I chose LAN it locked me in a loop where I couldn't get the ADSL config again....

In the end I deinstalled the RPM for the ADSL setup and everything else aDSL. from the rpmdrake remove (I did a search on DSL). Then I reinstalled the packages.

Hope thats helpful.....

After doing that it reprompted me for the password/username.

edit: ooops, I forgot. When the buttons disappear and everything its OK. Its because its getting the IP address from the DSL modem and it just kinda takes a while.

Guest oberon

I am not native cypriot, I just live here. So everything I do is in English. (Though I am not English also :wink:).

My problem is that this is the first time I am trying Linux. So to uninstall and install again is a tricky thing for me. But I'll try.

Thanks!

And what do you think about my two passwords I was writing about? For several years I worked with dial-up connection and understand more or less how it works, but ADSL is a "dark forest" for me...

OK, if I wasn't clear, you don't need to deinstall all Mandrake, just the adsl stuff.

You don't really need to deinstall it but its probably the easiest way....

From mandrake Control Centre choose packaging...

Then Remove programs...

Do a search, just type DSL in the box or ppp.

It will list all the packages you have matching that criteria.

Make sure you make a list. (for your own good).

Then you select them for deinstall.

After close remove programs and go to install programs.

Do the same search and it will list the ones you deinstalled.

Reinstalling should overwrite the configs you have done. It also should make a file called .rpmsave. (You can learn more later from this after you have got it all working)

Once you do that it should prompt you for username and password if you choose ADSL setup...

Hope that helps....

Guest oberon

I just reviewed the information which the local DSL provider gives to set up Windows/Mac systems. In the evening when another work will be finished, I'll try to reinstall DSL packages as you advise.

What confuses me however is that Mandrake treating 'LAN connection' and 'ADSL connection' as two different connections. static wrote that the ADSL connection is for using a dsl modem that is internally installed into one of PCI slots. So I should use only LAN connection. But it doesn't ask any additional info then... However, I'll see what it will do after reinstall.

Thanks!