Same partition mounted multiple times... Accidentally

Guest tslugmo

Guest tslugmo

I was trying to format and add an extra partition to my file system, but couldn't get it to work. I mounted it first under my /home directory, then under my /home/user directory, then under my /mnt directory, unmounting and changing some options each time before I finally got it to let me write to it. In the process, for some reason unmounting them did not get them to stop mounting themselves (itself?) again when I rebooted, meaning each old mount point stayed while also adding a new mount point. It has the same properties in each mount point. I want to get rid of the other 2 mount points, obviously, but can't seem to figure out how. In MCC the other mount points don't show up, just the current partition with the current (last) mount point. My /etc/fstab doesn't make any mention of those mount points, either, just the most recent one.

Help?

Thanks,

tslug

well, to check and see if it's mounted on those mountpoints you can type:

mount

as root, which will list all the partitions mounted and what they're mounted under.

and, the directories you mounted them in will stay there. but unless it's set to be mounted at boot in fstab, the partition should not be mounted _in_ those directories. the directories will still exist, they just won't contain anything....

anyways, see if mount says that the partition is mounted on those other mounpoints. if it is, just umount /dev/hdxx (replacing the x's with the driver letter and partition number, i.e. /dev/hda1) and reboot-it should clear it up...

Guest tslugmo

Awesome, thanks. Mount showed the same info as MCC and fstab, so I deleted those directories and am hoping they don't show up again.

Thanks again for the speedy reply!

-tslug

Guest tslugmo

Well, I'm not sure it matters, or at least I hope it doesn't, because the one I mounted under home (actually, in MCC the mount point was /home/temp) is the one I'm not keeping.

Oh, do you mean in case I replaced my /home directory with this new partition, and then I just removed my entire /home directory. Yes that would be bad news.

The mount point I'm keeping is /mnt/extra. Although I'm tossing around the idea of mounting it somewhere other than /mnt, since accessing the /mnt directory means that my cd-rom has to spin up before the directory tree expands. Isn't it sad how impatient we've become as a society?

-tslug

the reason the cdrom spins up is because of auto/super-mount :-) i don't use auto/super-mount, so i don't have that problem. but i do have to mount my cdrom's manually....

as long as it was mounted as if it were /home and you deleted /home, everything should be fine :-)