Acer 640U scanner on MDK 9.0

kfoss

I have seen many posts on getting USB scanners to work and the problems that Scannerdrake has when configuring a scanner. I feel my problems are classic, but it seems that fixing them have not been as simple. My scanner is recognized as a USB device, the scanner modules are properly loaded, if I use SANE-FIND-SCANNER, it will find the scanner but when I try to use any application that accesses the scanner, they all say that no SANE devices have been found. I have checked in the 'snapscan.conf' file and made sure that the device was pointed to the /dev/usb/scanner0 device.

I have done the recommended firmware uplaod and I have compiled and installed the newest sane backend. Neither Xsane and scanimage find any SANE devices.

Any ideas?

I've never used a scanner in Linux, but here are a few thoughts:

did you check to make sure /dev/usb/scanner0 does exist? does the configuration for the programs you're trying to use allow you to tell it what device to look at? (as in, specify for it to look at /dev/usb/scanner0) or do these programs reference spascan.conf for that configuration?

just a few thoughts, hopefully to point you in a direction that will help you solve the issue....or maybe help others think up solutions :-)

I finished checking the recommendations. The /dev/usb/scanner0 is there. I checked to see if the sane daemon was running. It seems it isn't. When I run saned, it runs and then closes. I am going to download an older version of sane and try again.

I finally got it working. I removed every last possible reference to sane or scanning and then compiled and installed the latest files from the sane site. A few tweaks and then off to the races.

Thanks for the help!

Kevin