Linus leaves Transmeta to work full-time on Linux

static

Linus Torvalds leaves Transmeta to work full-time on Linux

Originally posted on Newsforge.com

Tuesday June 17, 2003 - [ 11:53 AM GMT ]

- By Robin 'Roblimo' Miller -

In a post to the linux-kernel email list early in the morning on June 17, Torvalds wrote, "...I've decided to take a leave-of-absense after 6+ years at Transmeta to actually work full-time on the kernel."

He continued, "Transmeta has always been very good at letting me spend even an inordinate amount of time on Linux, but as a result I've been feeling a little guilty at just how little "real work" I got done lately. To fix that, I'll instead be working at OSDL, finally actually doing Linux as my main job."

OSDL (Open Source Development Lab) describes itself as "a non-profit, global consortium of leading technology companies dedicated to accelerating the adoption of Linux."

OSDL appointed computer industry veteran Stu Cohen as CEO in April. NewsForge interviewed Cohen on April 21.

OSDL is sponsored by Linux-interested companies including Alcatel, Cisco, Computer Associates, Dell, Ericsson, Force Computers, Fujitsu, HP, Hitachi, IBM, Intel, Linuxcare, Miracle Linux Corporation, Mitsubishi Electric, MontaVista Software, NEC Corporation, Nokia, Red Hat, SuSE, Toshiba and VA Software. (NewsForge is owned by VA Software.)

Torvalds used this email as an opportunity to thank Transmeta for their support of his Linux work. He said, "Transmeta has always been very good at letting me spend even an inordinate amount of time on Linux, but as a result I've been feeling a little guilty at just how little 'real work' I got done lately. To fix that, I'll instead be working at OSDL, finally actually doing Linux as my main job."

He said an official press release he described as "boring" will be issued shortly by Transmeta and OSDL, that he "just wanted to say thanks to Transmeta. It has been a special place to work for, and hello to OSDL that I hope will be the same," and and closed his email with these words:

"Snif. I'm actually all teary-eyed."

Guest JaseP

Linus is probably just clearing his plate to get ready for the great fight...

I think he should hold himself out to IBM and others as an independant consultant. He'd finally make some $$$ from his billion dollar baby.

$$$ has never been Linus' reason for Linux

And besides, from what I understand he was making a pretty darn good living working for Transmeta. But, that's not really what he's about....