Internet connection broken between linux box and work MS lan

Guest Norm_Mck

Guest Norm_Mck

Hi All,

I can connect my laptop running mdk9.1 to my lan at work which is bassically a bunch of pc's connected ta win 2k server. I can connect using dhcp and share files with Samba, I can even resolve domain names using ns lookup so the DNS looks ok. When I try to connect to google.co.uk through Mozilla I get "connection refuse"

Thanks

norm.

try google.com

is google.co.uk the only website you have trouble with? can you visit other websites? it may not be a problem with your system, but rather a problem somewhere else...(just thoughts).

Guest Norm_Mck

No I have trouble with all sites, google.co.uk was just an example, somtimes it works when others don't because it has been cached which suggests a problem with the dns servers but not in this case.

Guest Ptaieb

could it be a firewall problem ? I have the same problem, using a mdk9.1, I can ping by IP, nslookup DNS servers, dig www.yahoo.co.uk, but if I try to ping www.yahoo.co.uk I have host unknow, someone suggest that the port 53 (DNS) should be open but I removed all firewall on this client and still have the problem, I have like you other system (even another mdk9.1) on the same subnet, and only this one has a problem

Guest Norm_Mck

I have the same problem only my error message is network unreachalble. I suspect that mandrake control centre is not setting up my default gateway properly, any body know how I can check this? when I try 'route' I get 10.15.43.0 when the default gatewayy should be 10.15.43.10!

Guest Ptaieb

in /etc/sysconfig, there is a bunch of files about network, I am not sure it is a good idea to change those files by hand, but probably a backup of the files first

the file network has some info about the gateway