how to install a library

Guest Ptaieb

Guest Ptaieb

a very beginners question, how do you add a library in your linux system ? do you just copy the file(s) in the right directory or is there some command to run to update some kind of registry ?

Libraries are contained in a package called an 'rpm' file, with a xxx-xxx.xxx.rpm format. You can use either a gui or command line to install an rpm. I like the command line program urpmi.

Type

urpmi packagename

and the rpm is installed. If you need other files in order to use whatever you are installing, (called a dependency or dep) urpmi will tell you what you need, and can even find what you need and tell you what else it has to install. Nice program.

Guest Ptaieb

if I understand well what I have seen with linux so far, you do not have to use rpm all the time, actually if you compile your own system (linuxfromscratch or some other) you will not have rpm possibilities until you reach the installation of the rpm software.

I tryed to install linux without a distribution, to learn more, it whent well, but when I tryed to install my first software after that, with ./configure and so on, I encounter a dependentie problem and had to download a library, but did not know what to do with it. I copi it in hte directory where it was missing but it was not recognized, there fore my question

thanks, I will do like you said

Tyme, that is 3 question of mine that you reply so far, is there a price for the max question answers ?

nah, i'm here to help ;-)

beside, i may be wrong :lol:

I'm not at a linux machine at the moment but isn't there a command like "ld" that creates a database of libraries and their version numbers or something like that? I've never had to use it but I think I've seen it in a couple of readme files for various things...Then again I may be halucinating :wink:

Glitz.

I'm not at a linux machine at the moment but isn't there a command like "ld" that creates a database of libraries and their version numbers or something like that?  I've never had to use it but I think I've seen it in a couple of readme files for various things...Then again I may be halucinating  :wink:  

Glitz.

if you installed the library as described in the README or INSTALL file and the library cannot be found or called issuing the command ldconfig (as root) should do the trick.