All-In-Wonder Still a Missing Piece?

jgutty

I have used MDK 8.1, 8.2, 9.0, and 9.1 Each time I hope that my ati all in wonder pro will be recognized.....still no dice. I am not a linux pro, I hate to boot windoze, but dang....

I am new to this site (Nice, BTW,) and I read in the software group that a person has the AIW and can view the TV. I am not that far, so I must have missed something along the way.

Is there a source of info on how to configure the 72 and 1/2 pieces of software to make this thing work? I refuse to buy another, as the info on this subject seems sparse.

Thanks.

The should be a GATOS package on the CDs (if not you can find it on the web). This will allow you to access the tuner and video in on the ATI AIW pro card. Browse through the installable software packages to find it.

I don't know if hardware acceleration for graphics is supported in XFree 4.3 or not but you can get it with XFree 3.3.6 if you need that. It's probably not worth it to switch if you don't need it though.

Glitz.

The should be a GATOS package on the CDs (if not you can find it on the web).  This will allow you to access the tuner and video in on the ATI AIW pro card.  Browse through the installable software packages to find it.

I don't know if hardware acceleration for graphics is supported in XFree 4.3 or not but you can get it with XFree 3.3.6 if you need that.  It's probably not worth it to switch if you don't need it though.

Glitz.

I found the GATOS package and installed the package. I now have XAWTV....but it will not start. It says that there is no video device available. I did some poking around, and I see no /dev/v41 entries....so the GATOS rpm did not do the entire job. I will have to get a few hours to look into it deeper.

Thanks anyway!

Good Day,

I've been using the Gatos drivers for my AIW Rage 128 Pro (plus an older AIW 'Classic'. Gatos typically uses /dev/video0 as its main device. It is likely that you will have to create the /dev/video0 yourself.

I do not know what version you are using of Gatos, but it is best to get the most up to date from the gatos.sourceforge.net site. The files you'll need for tuner support is 'ati.2'. You'll have to pick from the list as there are different versions compiled for the various XFree86 versions. These files are normally just untarred into the /usr/X11R6 directories overwriting your default XF86 drivers (remember to backup the original directory). From there you should have direct access to the tuner from Xawtv. I recommend against trying to get the AIW to work on MDK9.1. I have tried in vain as there is a conflict between the compiler (GCC) used by MDK and the one used for Gatos. It works great with MDK 9.0.

Now, there are a few other hints for you. If you want video capture as well, you'll need the 'km' code which needs to be compiled and installed. If you want a GUI to capture with and access the TV and tuner, you'll need AVView. All the instructions for installation are on the gatos site.

Lastly, do not be surprised if it seems that Gatos will not work with most TV and capture applications. It will currently only work (some with partial functionality) with Avview, Xawtv and mp1e. This is because most V4L applications have implemented the tuner coding based on an improper implementation of V4L in the BT848(?) tuner chipset. Unfortunately, this is the most prevalent tuner chip around and most apps were written to it. Gatos was written to work with the chips in the ATI cards which is not the BT848(?). The lead in the project, named Vladimir, has written to the V4L standard as best possible.

I hope this helps you. I have been pleasantly surprised at what I can accomplish with Gatos. It may not be as complete at the ATI apps in Windoze, but it is a far cry from not using any of the AIW functionality.

It's been a while since I used my ATI AIW pro card but doesn't GATOS come with it's own TV viewer program? ATITV or something like that? I never used XAWTV with my card. There are also other programs for capturing video (though I've never used them).

Glitz.

kfoss,

You mentioned your difficulties w/ 9.1. When I try to run atitv as:

atitv -m TV -c 3

I get:

Creating new shared memory segment

Shared memory segment marked for deletion

Is this the compiler isuue? Or will I have the same problems if I go back to 9.0 (which I liked better anyway)

Thanks

Actually, to tell you the truth, I've never used ATITV successfully. I tried almost 2 years ago, then got on the Gatos forums and found the most up to date software. Using ATITV is like using a 2.0 kernel. ATITV was likely not compiled with the MDK 9.1 kernel, XF86 4.3 or the GCC 3.2x. I recommend going to the gatos.sourceforge.net site and getting the ati.2 drivers. You can then use the standard xawtv to view the TV. There is more than the ati.2 drivers at the Gatos site, if you want more than just TV viewing.

Kevin

kfoss,

You mentioned your difficulties w/ 9.1.  When I try to run atitv as:

atitv -m TV -c 3

I get:

Creating new shared memory segment

Shared memory segment marked for deletion

Is this the compiler isuue?  Or will I have the same problems if I go back to 9.0 (which I liked better anyway)

Thanks

That message rings a bell but I think it's normal. I've never had any problems with ATITV under LM8.1.

Glitz.

• 5 months later...
Good Day,

I've been using the Gatos drivers for my AIW Rage 128 Pro (plus an older AIW 'Classic'.  Gatos typically uses /dev/video0 as its main device.  It is likely that you will have to create the /dev/video0 yourself.

I do not know what version you are using of Gatos, but it is best to get the most up to date from the gatos.sourceforge.net site.  The files you'll need for tuner support is 'ati.2'.  You'll have to pick from the list as there are different versions compiled for the various XFree86 versions.  These files are normally just untarred into the /usr/X11R6 directories overwriting your default XF86 drivers (remember to backup the original directory).  From there you should have direct access to the tuner from Xawtv.  I recommend against trying to get the AIW to work on MDK9.1.  I have tried in vain as there is a conflict between the compiler (GCC) used by MDK and the one used for Gatos.  It works great with MDK 9.0.

Now, there are a few other hints for you.  If you want video capture as well, you'll need the 'km' code which needs to be compiled and installed.  If you want a GUI to capture with and access the TV and tuner, you'll need AVView.  All the instructions for installation are on the gatos site.

Lastly, do not be surprised if it seems that Gatos will not work with most TV and capture applications.  It will currently only work (some with partial functionality) with Avview, Xawtv and mp1e.  This is because most V4L applications have implemented the tuner coding based on an improper implementation of V4L in the BT848(?) tuner chipset.  Unfortunately, this is the most prevalent tuner chip around and most apps were written to it.  Gatos was written to work with the chips in the ATI cards which is not the BT848(?).  The lead in the project, named Vladimir, has written to the V4L standard as best possible.

I hope this helps you.  I have been pleasantly surprised at what I can accomplish with Gatos.  It may not be as complete at the ATI apps in Windoze, but it is a far cry from not using any of the AIW functionality.

This is an update on this thread. I tried the Gatos ati2 files that I downloaded and also I found them on the distribution CDs.....I had no success....just gave up for awhile.

In the meantime, I learned how to change my urpmi sources and gained some general knowledge about that neat tool. I found that the ati files are available on the contrib sites. I tried it again letting MCC install just as before with some success. Now I can view the TV input. I can't capture yet, the v4L stuff is not working yet, but I am making progress. I am not sure if I did something different after waiting awhile, or if the contrib site had a newer version.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice I received from this board.