Help! Mandrake's KDE menus are almost empty!

Guest stodge

Guest stodge

I booted into Mandrake this morning, and the main menu is almost empty! The only menu options left are:

Bookmarks

Quick Browser

Run Command

Lock Screen Logout

The quick launch icons have also vanished from the task bar! I can still run applications using "Run Command" though.

Is there anything I can do to regenerate the menus as they used to be, or do I have to re-install?

ALso the KDE Control Centre is empty; it contains no icons!

Thanks!

Guest stodge

Sorry - I edited my post to reflect the situation.

The menu is populated again, but not as it was when Mandrake was installed - the sub menus are all wrong.

If I add applications to the task bar they don't have icons, and I can't edit their properties.

Unless you are experimenting with breaking things (like I do!) there is no reason to reinstall a linux system. I am suspicious of a hardware problem. Many times a system problem is a symptom of a failure, rather than a software error. Mandrake is a stable distro, so consider eveluating your hardware. (Only mswindex breaks at scheduled times. Bill likes you to spend money every 6 months or so :wink: )

• 6 months later...

In the last four days i've found that urpmi updating my system hoses everything. I loose everything in KDE from the terminal to all menu entries. Gnome works but all of KDE gets fried. For the next week I'll not be updating anything KDE related enmass. Just one thing at a time.

Though I will keep testing to find out exactly which app does it. I'll start with things outside of KDE then go onto the base/core KDE stuff if I haven't found it yet.

My normal install from cdrom is stable even with the .22 kernel and Nvidia installed. As soon as I find the one that breaks it I'll post.