GeForce 4 Ti4200 & two desktops

tyme

Here's the deal:

I have a GeForce 4 Ti4200 w/the 2 monitor (VGA & DVI) outs and a video out. Here's what I want to be able to do: have two desktops being displayed at once. one on my monitor, the other on my tv.

what i've tried:

DOlson's twinview tutorial. didn't do what I wanted it to do. I want two desktops, not one desktop spanned across two monitors.

Xinerema: haven't tried it, but i understand it just does the one desktop stretched across two monitors thing like twinview.

running two X servers: one outputting to the TV and one to the monitor. this works up to the point where I want BOTH running at the same time-it fails in that aspect. only one of the two can be displayed at a time, and i have to change vt's when i want to use the other one.

my DM is Gnome, so take that into account with any possibly compatability issues.

i feel like i'm missing something here, that this should be possible-but i haven't figured out how to do it. someone want to point me in the right direction?

Two desktops instead of one over 2 monitors? That's strange. To my understanding you'd need 2 instances of the X server running, which I don't think is possible. Anyone else feel free to correct me - I hope for tyme's sake I'm wrong.

you can run two X servers at once, you just can't have them being displayed. i was able to send a display to vt7 that was running with one server layout, then another to vt8 with a different layout (obviously one w/for the CRT and one for the TV).

but, they aren't displayed at the same time...you have to ctrl+alt+Fx between them.

the real purpose for this is I want movies and other graphical things being displayed on my TV while i work on my system. specifically: i want freevo running on my TV, but the issue is controlling it....or something....

i dunno, feel free to toss out other ideas on how i could do this. i don't really need a second desktop, per se....

• 1 month later...

actually, i found a different way of doing it, not using twinview, and it worked quite well.

if you look at the README for the NVIDIA drivers, the whole way down towards the bottom there is an explanation. worked quite nicely. I can't remember how it did it now, and i'm not at home to figure it out...