Access my linux partition in windows

iphitus

Those links should sort you out one time.

But if you want to dig in on your own, the 'program' you'll be using is Samba, which I recommend you configure via Webmin and you'll be creating a Samba Share.

It's very straight forward, post here with problems.

Guest Ptaieb

wait a minute, if I andestand well both reply point to a software to access a linux partition on one PC/host/system from a windows OS on another PC

I beleive the question was how to access the linux partition on the same system, so while the Linux os is down

in reverse, from a linux I can mount /dev/hdxx /mnt/nt and then access the data (read only for NTFS, read/write for FAT(32)) and this even as I am nor tunning win

is there a way to view a Ext2/3 partition on the same HD that is running M$$$$$ ?

i did find this:

http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm

it gives you a "windows explorer" view of your linux partition (ext2) with drag and drop and more. However the write support is unreliable and could stuff things up and there is still a risk with the read too. I don't think it works on XP/2000. However there is sure to be a driver or something out there that'll let me use it as a normal drive, safely. I don't want to lose anything. I did find one but it only worked on NT4. Lost the site now.

James

Generally speaking it isn't a good idea to try and access Linux native partitions from Windows if you can avoid it. A better solution is to have a dedicated data partition for files that need sharing. This can be FAT32 which boh Linux and Windows have good support for.

i did find this:

http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm

it gives you a "windows explorer" view of your linux partition (ext2) with drag and drop and more. However the write support is unreliable and could stuff things up and there is still a risk with the read too. I don't think it works on XP/2000. However there is sure to be a driver or something out there that'll let me use it as a normal drive, safely. I don't want to lose anything. I did find one but it only worked on NT4. Lost the site now.

James

i tried that program once. not pretty. but that was a while ago-however, as mtweidmann said, accessing linux partitions from windows is not a good idea.