The good old intel 536ep modem

Guest mahiles

Guest mahiles

I've noticed alot of people around the web having problems with this modem and so am I, however I can't find any answers anywhere.

Here is my problem:

First off I'm a linux newbie so that won't be helping. Using Mandrake 9.1. Have an Intel 536EP Modem. I downloaded the latest drivers from the intel web site but what a load of rubbish! Installed them exactly as instructed in the readme file but...

When I boot my computer I get dependency errors for the modem stuff. Something about special characters not being recognised??? I run kppp to dial the internet but whenever I do kppp freezes up. I have only managed to connect twice but all other times it has just frozen.

I hope someone out there can lend me a hand because its getting increasingly annoying day by day.

Thanks..

Guest mahiles

Is anyone there?! Can no one think what it is? I don't know how I managed it but even with errors I seem to be able to get connected alot more than I was. However now up crops another problem. In Windows I get a connection speed of 44.4 kbs but in linux its 31.2 kbs?? Help!!

I guess that since the driver is in beta form, it's not even perfect.

Anyway, can you tell us the step by step method of what you do when you install the driver? Since none of us have an Intel 536EP modem, you may give more information. Does the driver require you to have kernel-source installed, does it need compiling, etc, etc.

Guest mahiles

First I install the kernel source off my mandrake cds..

cd to the directory with the modem stuff in..

type "make clean" then "make 536ep" and finally "make install"...

after that I usually restart my computer and when it boots back up I get the dependency errors

its now about 50 50 whether the modem makes linux freeze or whether it connects (although at the wrong speed)

if you want I can post with an attachment of the driver I'm trying to use??

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 536ep which I have managed to get working. I am still using LM9.0 but my solution may be of some help to you.

After booting up if I try to start kppp the machine locks up and the keyboard ceases to function and I have to power off and reboot.

However if, before starting kppp, I launch minicom, wait for about 20 - 30 seconds until an AT line appears on the terminal screen and then close minicom I can then start kppp and the modem works perfectly until I have to reboot and then I have to go through the same process again.

I've no idea what minicom does but it solves the problem for me.

HTH

petew