Freeze Up's

FX

Will be surfing the net for awhile and downloading stuff and then everything freezes. I have gaim going, with the net. Tried downloading Wolf: ET today 3 times and I would lock up, only way I could get anything to go is to logout and then start all over. Not sure what Im doing wrong

but this is getting fustrating. (Not sure on how to install the game either when I do get I downloaded. LOL, Well be asking for help on that later. Im use to Windows and a .exe with a icon to start the game and crap like that.)

Anyways my system specs are: XP 1700+, 512 pc2100 DDR, nVidia G3 TI 500 with soundblaster live 5.1. Using Mozilla as a browser.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I don't have that problem in windows.

FX

Well that didn't work either. As of right now I have it uninstalled and the partition removed. Im looking for a second smaller hdd and then I'll reinstall. Am not very happy with the way it was freezing up. Not sure what is or was causing it.

FX

hmmm.... this could turn out to be a tough one.

Have you tried using a different Windows Manager? Like, if you're using KDE, switch over to Gnome or IceWM and see if the problem still occurs.

This will give us a clue as to whether the problem is X as a whole freezing or just your Windows Manager.

Ya know I just thought of that myself. I always used gnome and never KDE. I guess I'll reinstall before I get my XP side to built up again. (Only reason I still run XP is for Nascar Racing by Sierra and F1 2002, otherwise it would probably be history). Anyways later today I'll load up Mandy again and see what happens.

Thanks for the response. Also I had America's Army d/l'ed and Wolfenstien: ET d/l'ed also and had NO idea on how to install or even run them, so I will probably be asking more questions. LOL

FX

Guest shakti

I will be interested if something come out of this. My MDK 9.0 install freezes on me regulary running Blackbox and kde. Mouse moves but other than that screen is frozen, keyboard locked...i can still ssh in and reboot. No error messages either in the logs as x stops logging when this happens....hmm...right now i am using nvidia fx card with nvagp on qdi MB with via chipset & an 1700XP cpu.

Also I had America's Army d/l'ed and Wolfenstien: ET d/l'ed also and had NO idea on how to install or even run them, so I will probably be asking more questions. LOL

Check out the games section of this forum, DOlson will gleefully sort you out one time.:wink:

I've spoken to a few people with problems under MDK with X freezing, I've solved two problems so far that were mouse related (weirdly enough) - when we specified the mouse differently, it stopped freezing. But some of the freezes have still got me puzzled.