Aumix muting....MAKE IT STOP!

cage47

OK, I've been in Debian World since New Years. I finally broke down and got a copy of Mandy 9.1 just to check it out. Looks nice. Don't notice any real performance improvements from my Mandy 8.2 install that it overwrote. Lots of changes that I had to work around.But I had a bugger of a time figuring out my sound (ES1371). I checked here and then from another post checked my aumix settings. Sure enough, the mute option was checked. Unchecked it and got my sound. Problem is it goes back to mute after reboot. I've saved it to the .aumixrc file but it still comes up muted on reboot. Is this a glitch or is there a work around? I can't find anything or any posts that list a fix for THIS problem.I doubt I'll do away with my Debian (for performance reasons) but this is a catch that can keep me from using this as an alternate boot. If this isn't fixed I'm considering actually killing the Mandrake partition and reclaiming it for more space for Debian. Any ideas?

If you're using ALSA, installing alsa-utils seems to get around the problem - a thing called alsactl runs during boot and that seems to restore the volume. Actually, I'm 100% sure it is alsa-utils but it is one of the alsa related things that does the trick.

If you're not using ALSA, you could write a little boot-script which should do the trick (I've never wrote a bootscript so take this with a handful of salt . : :wink: )

Paleo is correct. Install the alsa-utils package. Then use Aumix to set your volumes, and then the volumes will stay where they are when you reboot. The alsactl program he/she referred to does restore the mixer settings.

And no, Aumix has nothing to do with why your soundcard comes up muted when you reboot.

OK well I installed the alsa-util package. Didn't help. BUt one other thing. I'm using the OSS es1371 module. Not the alsa snd-es1371 module. The Alsa module doesn't work with my card. And after installing the util package and resetting the sound vols with aumix but still muted. I've read and it's not so much aumix as ALSA itself mutes the sound. can on the command line I enter alsactl to work with it? I tried and nothing. This is quite annoying considering how well mandrake got this distro to work to have something basic like this cause a hangup.

If you are using KDE place a script in

~/.kde/Autostart

The script should look like

#!/bin/bash

aumix -L

(if there are other things you want done at startup, you could add it here)

If you have saved the settings in ~/.aumicrc or in /etc/aumixrc, this will do it.

OK Paleo you get a cookie! Your second post didn't do anything. Since it was just from another forum not your fault. BUT........

I tried entering a bash script into the kde autostart directory (didn't work by the way) but then I also thought "Wait, I also use IceWM. This script will only get sound in KDE. I opened a terminal and entered aumix -L and sure enough sound came on. SOOOOOO....

I went to my user's root dir, found the .bashrc file. opened it and at the bottom, added the line

aumix -L

rebooted and instead directly went to Icewm. I popped a cd in and hit the start button. B.I.N.G. and O! Music. Sound problem fixed! I'm going to pass this one around the forums I have seen the question. Thanks and Later!

(Still bugs me that something as basic as this is a problem with such a clean looking os)