New Con Kolivas 2.4.21-rc7 kernel patch

For those interested, there's a brand new Con Kolivas -ck1 patch against kernel 2.4.21-rc7. I just tried it on Mandrake 9.1, and so far so good, except no supermount (if one cares).

I just applied the 2.4.21-rc7 patch to 2.4.20 source (did mrproper first), then applied the ck1 patch, and then did make xconfig. I loaded the stock Mandrake 9.1 2.4.21-pre .config file, then I selected for my cpu (athlon), said no to some various hardware devices and options I never use or have. (wound up with a 1.1MB kernel image)

Then did the usual:

make dep

make clean

make bzImage

make modules

su to root, and:

make modules_install

make install

Then I checked /boot and /etc/lilo.conf just to make sure all was correct.

In my case, I removed the old 2.4.20-ck7 kernel and 2.4.20-ck7 /lib/modules, and lilo entries. Ran lilo again to finish up, and rebooted,

Booted fine, and I'm now using the new patched preemptive kernel from Con Kolivas. Seems really responsive.

Robert Crawford :D

UPDATE:

A warning:

After two days, when I tried to shut down the box, things went haywire, and I was unable to reboot to any kernel- mesage box said /home did not exist (actually it was still there). I finally had to reinstall Mandrake, but I do that every 6 months anyway as a matter of course. Even Linux gets cluttered up.

Apparently, my mistake was doing the final "make install" AFTER "make modules_install" at the end of compiling the kernel, which uses the kernel script to copy to /boot and edit lilo.

Anyway, after reinstalling Mandrake, I recompiled 2.4.21-rc7 with the ck1 patch, and the supermount patch, but this time manually did the copy of System.map and bzImage to /boot, naming the kernel image bzImage-2.4.21-ck1. I then manually edited lilo, and rebooted the the new kernel OK- this time I had no problems. I'm building in /home/kernels directory, so maybe the fact of not being in /usr/src messed up the "make install" I did the first time. I'll not trust the kernel install script again!

However, supermount still doesn't work even with the SM patch, but everything else is great, and I have access to other kernels as usual.

wrc1944 :)