Gentoo & Evolution 1.4

ok...got myself the evolution 1.4 sources, but when i compile, it dies on me:

checking db3 header version... configure: error: Found db.h is not version 3.1.17

and emerge shows I have:

*  sys-libs/db

Latest version available: 3.2.9-r2

Latest version installed: 3.2.9-r2

Size of downloaded files: 2,036 kB

Homepage:    http://www.sleepycat.com/

Description: Berkeley DB for transaction support in MySQL

Now, I assume db.h is part of db (though I can't verify it) and I would guess that my version is to _high_, so, any ideas on how to fix this?

well, i did some more searching. a symlink could do that trick, bvc, but looking at the README (which explains why it needs EXACTLY 3.1.17, no earlier, not later) for evolution 1.4 (yeah, i should have checked this out before posting, i know-dumb me) it kindly informs me that evolution statically links (meaning, once it's compiled, i can delete db3.1.17-so i only need it for the compile, don't have to install it on the system).

working on the issue, downloaded this file: http://www.sleepycat.com/update/snapshot/d...b-3.1.17.tar.gz

then:

$gunzip db*.gz

$tar -xvf db*.tar (yes, i know these two steps can be done in one, i just keep forgetting the options for tar)

$cd db*/dist

$./configure --prefix=/home/user/berkelydb-3.1.17

$make

$make install

so this gets me the right version of berkelydb, and then i go back to the evolution source directory and:

$./configure --with-db3=/home/tyme/berkelydb-3.1.17

$make

$su

#make install

now i have to install libgtkhtml3.0.5, gal1.99.7, and libsoup1.99-which are all available in the same dir as evolution, and are required-since gentoo is a tad behind on these libraries :-D (and I would imagine other distro's maybe also)

this is becoming a big pain in the arse. ignore the versions for the extra libs and such that i mentioned in my last post. i'll explain in a post tomorrow, right now i'm going to bed before i kill whoever put together ximian evolution and it's dependencies. and the readme file. ugh. :evil:

well, evolution 1.4 made it's way into portage. so all this work i did was pointless (althought it didn't work anyways)

to get it, just do:

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -p /usr/portage/net-mail/evolution/evolution-1.4.0.ebuild

it won't show up without you specifying the path of the ebuild, just so ya know...