Kernel patching for UDF 2.50 and Blu-ray

Guest smurphy

Guest smurphy

I recently built a new machine and switched to Linux after being "stuck" with Windows for a long time. New machine, sparkly bits, RAID disks, lots of memory etc. My old DVD drive was a bit tired so I bought a SATA blu-ray, more out of curiosity than anything else. I've faffed with Linux for quite a long time, but never at an in depth nuts and bolts level so I'm kinda winging it.

Installation is OK and the drive works with DVD disks just fine. However, when I stick a blu-ray disk in and it auto-mounts I get the following failure in syslog :

Apr 26 17:09:05 dev kernel: UDF-fs: minUDFReadRev=250 (max is 201)

I'm guessing this means that the UDF module only supports filesystem version 2.01 but the disk is version 2.50? I can't mount it manually either, I just get more of those errors in syslog.

Looking on the web, I found a sourceforge page with a patch that sounds about right, but I've not patched the kernel before and don't want to splat my install.

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=295&atid=300295

uname -a tells me I'm using "2.6.22.18-server-1mdv #1 SMP Mon Feb 11 16:46:24 EST 2008 i686" and according to the summary from the above :

UDF 2.50 patch for linux-2.6.22-rc4 (and up)

This patch contains changes to make it work with the Linux kernel

2.6.22-rc4 and up (hopefully).

To apply the patch:

#cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.22-rc4 (or wherever the kernel source is)

#bzcat <path_to_patch_file> | patch -p1

At a guess this is a source code patch, not binary, so presumably I download the kernel source and install it somewhere then do the above.

Assuming that all goes OK, I'm unsure on a few points.

1. How do I take whatever options are in my current kernel, glue them into a build so I build the same as I'm running but with his patch applied? The kernel I have seems to work fine, the only "broken" bit being my UDF support so I don't want to mess up the rest, just fix that bit. Ideally I only want to replace that module.

2. Is a built kernel just a single file? I've seen different kernels listed on the GRUB screen which presumably means if I can build one and stick it on there, if it goes blam I can boot one of the old ones to fix it?

3. Has anyone else had any blu-ray problems like the above? As far as I know, UDF 2.50 isn't new dated 2003 and 2.01 is dated 2000! I was surprised support was so old.

1. You're using a Mandriva kernel: 2.6.22.18-server-1mdv. So installing the "kernel" package with the same version, and "source" in the name should give you the same kernel with the same config. But your patch may not apply cleanly, or at all, with this kernel. If so, you can try to get latest kernel from kernel.org, and issue this command:

zcat /proc/config.gz >/path/to/kernel/source/tree/.config

2. No, but I don't remember the details. Fortunately, the kernel source tree contains good documentation about the way it should be built and installed.

3. No.

Guest smurphy
zcat /proc/config.gz >/path/to/kernel/source/tree/.config

Thank you, that's very useful :)

I tried the patch in a VM at work today and it seems to apply without complaint, once I'd worked out the symbolic links in /usr/src so I may give it a go and see if I can get read working.

Thanks again.

To answer your other question:

Yes, the new kernel will just be a couple of files and as long as you don't overwrite your old kernel (just name your new one something different) and still have all of them as choices in your menu.lst or lilo.conf you will be able to boot an old kernel if it goes splat.

Guest smurphy
To answer your other question:

Yes, the new kernel will just be a couple of files and as long as you don't overwrite your old kernel (just name your new one something different) and still have all of them as choices in your menu.lst or lilo.conf you will be able to boot an old kernel if it goes splat.

thank you :)