RSYNC question

Guest anon

Guest anon

Im updating the cooker files on our server with RSYNC . This is a bit new for me, so my question is, should i shut down the ftp server and maybe spoil someones d-load, or wait until RSYNC has finished? and if i leave it up, what happends if someone d-loads while its being updated?

Should i care? :lol:

use soft links.

Have two copies of the mirror, and while one is updating, the other is available. Once the update has finished, then swich the soft link to the updated one and sync both directories.

For example, two copies of cooker A and B, in secret/path/to/cooker/A and secret/path/to/cooker/B

Update with rsync the B copy and have available to the public the A copy at (/pub/cooker=:

Step 1 (updating from the remote server):

Visitors view: /pub/cooker --(s link)--> secret/path/to/cooker/A

~$ rsync cooker.somewhere.com:* secret/path/to/cooker/B

Step 2 (change the s link and update the second copy using the first one as source):

~$ rm /pub/cooker && ln -s secret/path/to/cooker/B /pub/cooker (instant)

~$ rsync secret/path/to/cooker/B secret/path/to/cooker/A

Visitors view: /pub/cooker --(s link)--> secret/path/to/cooker/B

Step 3:

~$ rm /pub/cooker && ln -s secret/path/to/cooker/A /pub/cooker (instant)

Visitors view: /pub/cooker --(s link)--> secret/path/to/cooker/A

Start the cycle again (with cron daily?)

HTH, and I hope you'll understand it, because I think I've drunk too many beers during the meal :shock:

who cares? I don't think that will work at all. Don't do what I've suggested :P

Guest anon
HTH, and I hope you'll understand it, because I think I've drunk too many beers during the meal :shock:

who cares? I don't think that will work at all. Don't do what I've suggested  :P

:lol: :lol: Glad your enjoying yourself 8) I can never go back to work after drinkiing during the day........or have you finished work already?

I suppose having two copies of cooker folders is the answer. Problem is cooker holds about 2.5GB. So now it will be 5GB.

Why should i give mandrakeusers any more space on my server?? I mean, who are mandrakeusers anyway?? From looking at some of their pics, well, Scary eh?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:  :lol:  Glad your enjoying yourself 8)  I can never go back to work after drinkiing during the day........or have you finished work already?
Yes, I wen't to do a bit of "siesta" to reduce the effects of alcohol in my blood 8)

I suppose having two copies of cooker folders is the answer. Problem is cooker holds about 2.5GB. So now it will be 5GB.

Why should i give mandrakeusers any more space on my server??  I mean, who are mandrakeusers anyway??  From looking at some of their pics, well, Scary eh?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

you are right, I can't sleep (*almost*) since I saw those photos :lol:

About the original question, I'm sure there should be many howtos/tips over the net on how to do it in a safe manner. If I have some time tonight I'll do a little search to see if I find something interesting :D

Guest anon
you are right, I can't sleep (*almost*)  since I saw those photos  :lol: 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't see even with two cooker folders how you can avoid upsetting at least someone in the middle of d-loading something. Though it would reduce the number of possible complaints.

Unless you had two servers.....Hmmm.

Well you know lots more than i do, will see what you come up with 8) Don't lose any sleep though :lol: