PCMCIA Modem

Guest rlcarl

I loaded Mandrake 9.0 on a HP N5445 Laptop. Everything works fine except the onboard modem (winmodem). I have a PC card modem I know works, it works on my other laptop. when linux boots i get the following error message (with 1 high beep and 1 low beep):CARDMGR [958] get dev info on socket 1 failed resourse temporarily unavailable. PCMCIA seems to load ok.

/var/lib/pcmcia/stab has the following entry socket 1: Serial or Modem (only) cardctl config shows: socket 1: Vcc 5.0V Vpp1 0.0V Vpp20.0V only. cardctl ident shows: socket 1:

product info: "U.S. Robotics", "XJ/CC1560", "Megahertz 56kbps Modem" manfid: 0x0102, 0x002f function: 2 (serial), this should be correct. How can i configure the modem?

• 4 weeks later...

not 100% sure, but run the cardctl ident and note the manfid number. then go to /etc/pcmcia and open the file called config with vi or what ever you like. good idea to make a copy of it first. cp config config.bak

now once you have the config open look under the modems section and look for USR modems. look at all the modems and see if any have the same manfid numbers. if so then that is the one getting loaded. take a look in /var/log messages to see what driver is getting loaded. if it looks wrong then you might need to update your driver from pcmcia. or try adding the manfid line to the correct modem in the config you had open befor and comet out the other one with the wrong driver.

the pcmcia trys to load the driver by scanning the carctl ident when it starts and it dose so by the manfid number, so it gose down the list till it gets a match and uses that one.

i know this is not much but it might help.

if you can try to read the pcmcia how to for more info.

dave