Can't connect to network

Guest daewoo

Guest daewoo

I have a system running Mandrake 9.0 that I can't get to connect to the network at all. The NIC is a linksys using the tulip module. I tried a Dlink dfe-500tx before and it wouldn't work either.

I plug in the cable and it shows a connection (connect light is on steadily) but the data transmit light never stops flashing, like it is constantly transmitting data. I cannot ping out or in. Both cards behaved the same way. Any ideas???

Check your speed/duplex settings and be sure they match that of what ever you are plugged into... Can someone give a better way of how to do that other than ifconfig?

You plugged into a switch, hub, router, or a high speed modem directly?

Guest daewoo

My security settings are set at standard (the lowest)/

The machine plugs into a 5 port linksys hub (supposed to support 10/100 half/full duplex). There are 3 other machines plugged into that same hub (one other linux, one BSD and an XP box). THe uplink from that hub runs to my main hub and to the other computers here. The fifth port on that hub runs to a D-Link 713P wireless gateway (to the uplink port on it). THer are also 3 other machines plugged in there.

I have unplugged everything from the 5 prot hub and brought in a known good windows 2K box and connected it and the Mandrake 9.0 machine to the hub. The win2K box connects fine. The Mandrake box has a steady light in the "100" column (letting you know it is using 100 mps) and the light in the "Link" column blinks rapidly. I'm sorry, I had this backwards before (the hub is mounted upside down under a cabinet).

I have swapped the NIC in the linux box 3 times now with known good cards.

Thanks for your help so far, it's still not working, though :banghead: . Any more ideas??

Guest Ptaieb

it looks to me like if the system is sending request. so if you are set as dhcpclient and there is no dhcpserver, the mdk will not get an ip address, you did not provide the ifconfig -a (or ethx). that could be usefull, also some info about your intranet, what ip subnet are you using ? 10.0.0.0 or so

Guest daewoo

Here is the output from ifconfig eth0.

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr

00:04:5A:7A:93:AD

inet addr:192.168.0.100 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:164 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:0 errors:153 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:100

RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

Interrupt:11 Base address:0xe800

I am not running a DHCP client (I tuned on the DHCP server in the dlink gateway for a while just to be sure)