? Add a drive to k3b

static

I'd like to be able to copy from my dvd drive to my cd-rw, but I haven't found a burning app in linux that lets me add my pioneer dvd 16x as the reader drive. To copy I have to read with my burner first. This is of course a waste of having a 48x burn speed. Anyone have any secrets for adding a drive to k3b? (one of the sweetest burning apps for linux)

Note: I do see it when I run k3b setup (and it asks for my root passwd and sets up fstab..) but then just isn't there as a choice at burn time :?

Do you have both set up as scsi emulation? That's what I do to get my reader and writer going for disk to disk function. I have both listed in lilo on the append line:

append="hdb=ide-scsi hdc=ide-scsi"

I thought the same thing until I read (somewhere) that scsi emulation was needed for disk to disk. So, I tried it, and it worked! By the way, I use k3b in both Mandrake and gentoo.

Pro: GREAT! It works! Thanks!

Con: I broke my rpm database :cry: Now it looks for /dev/hdb when I try to use urpmi and can't 'cause it's now /dev/scd0 (burner's scd1). Can someone help me fix this? With this fixed, I'll have my dream linux system where every piece of hardware I own and software I'd like works! (Just for me to tear it down later in the week to re-build it so that it's clean; then I won't touch it for a year)

does urpmi use the device name? i had a somewhat similar problem wherein whenever urpmi-zed a package it uses my cdrw drive (secondary IDE master, /dev/scd0 and mounted at /mnt/cdrom). instead of reconfiguring all sources (which would take a significant amount of time) i just remounted my cdrw drive at /mnt/cdrw and my cdrom drive at /mnt/cdrom. now everytime urpmi wants a specific mandrake cd it is my cdrom drive that gets ejected. :)

ciao!

I prefer Ixthusdan's way... Countless other things'll get broken ramfree's way I'm afraid, considering the way many things remember where they'd been installed from. I use this scheme: CDRW for software installs, DVD for movies/music/multimedia.

Plus, I just got used to cdrom being the bottom one, and cdrom2 being the top one! lol

i dont know about things that are broken as i am still able to use my drives ok. afaik, these are the rules of attaching cdrom/cdrw drives (dont know where i got them but these are the rules i live by)

• dont mix cdrom/cdrw drives with hdd on the same ide cable

[*]re-writable drives should be made master when sharing with read-only drives

and i added this one, use read-only drives for reading and spare the writing drive's laser for writing. :#:

but like they said, different strokes for different people. :#:

ciao!

Well, you can't have the two drives you want to use for a disc to disc copy on the same ide cable, it'll leave the last few songs with anomolies and slow the process down...

I put one hdd with one cd on each cable (bootable hdd primary master and burner sec. master, dvd primary slave, swap drive sec. slave) Never had a problem... In fact, I used to make coasters with the ROMs on the same cable!