Voodoo 2 where are u ????

Guest bigstrawdog

Guest bigstrawdog

Hi please don't flame me. Trying to figure out if my voodoo 2 card is actually doing anything.

I'm running Mandrake 9.1 (from the very 1st screen shot i saw of it i knew M$ had to go) and primarily using Gnome (KDE default desktop reminded me 2 much of M$ sorry).

I have 2 video adapters installed,

ATI Xpert 98 with the video out going into a 3Dfx Voodoo 2 then out to my monitor.

OS is running Xfee86 4.3.0. XFree86.0.log's only reference to my Voodoo 2 is this line:

(--) PCI: (0:9:0) 3Dfx Interactive, Inc. Voodoo 2 rev2, Mem & 0xe8000000/24

i'm assuming Linux has probed the PCI slot and sees the card

i have installed Glide_V2-devl-2.53-7mdk.i586.rpm and Glide_V3-2.60.15-7mdk.i586.rpm from the Mandrake 9.1 CD3

I've been to the Mesa 3D site and have dloaded and installed the latest release (5.0.1) with the --with-Glide option set.

video performance is still terrible, would really like to fix this so i can dump M$ for good.

what am i missing??

Firstly: Drop Mesa, it is not nexessary and can cause complications. To check whether or not your hardware rendering is working, type the following:

$ glxinfo |more

Look for a line that says Direct Rendering / Hardware rendering: Yes or No and that will tell you. To check your rendering performance, type:

$ glxgears

This will give you an indication of fps.

Ezroller, I think he is using the old Voodoo 2 that was an expansion card (required another adaptor and only did rendering itself). The latest version of XFree does support Direct Rendering with your chipset, just make sure that you select it when configuring X.

Oh, and why would we flame you? sheesh...

Guest bigstrawdog

Yes, it is the old voodoo2, will not work in a standalone configuration.

I tried setting up XF86Config according to these instructions,

http://www.xfree86.org/~dawes/4.3.0/DRI10.html#24

(section 10.1.1, 10.1.2) and ooooh mama i made some damage.

I use the LILO to boot and the graphical login screen, now when i log in, it boots me back to the login screen with a message that says i was loggind in for less than 10 seconds blah blah....

i tried reverting back to the old XF86Config file and got the same thing.....

:shock:

(i can still shell to the command prompt though, i think i just screwed up the X configuration.)

It's wierd because I installed the Glide_V2_2.53-7mdk.rpm which is supposed to be the correct package for that card.

I will try glxinfo and glxgears when i get home....although im sure X has to be running when I execute these commands.....

Thanx for the help !!!

Guest bigstrawdog

ok, so when i try to log into gnome i get a message that says:

/etc/X11/Xsession:/bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission Denied.

and then boots me back to the login screen.

Does this mean i need to reinstall XFree86???

or is something in the config file just pointing to the wrong place??

Would a re-install be completely out of the question?

Instead of spending possibly weeks figuring this one out, a re-install would probably be the most painless way of solving it. Besides, if your partitions are set up properly then reinstalling is like pie.

I'm surprised that the Mandrake Installer did not configure your card properly...

Guest bigstrawdog

I think that is what i will most likely do. I tried to do an update to correct the problem, but the 'expert' install mode did not show up ( i read somewhere that updating in expert mode would let me select the Glide option).

Its been pretty bizarre, I'm still dual booting MDK/win98 and 98 is using the card so i know its not the hardware (you can't imagine how much it pains me to say that).

As far as the rest of it goes, the install was relatively painless (M$ can't say that).

I'll give it a go this weekend.... :D

I tried to do an update to correct the problem, but the 'expert' install mode did not show up ( i read somewhere that updating in expert mode would let me select the Glide option).

MDK 9.1 does not have an advanced install, that died with 9.0.

Good luck and post your results. :wink:

Actually, it does have an expert install.  You just need to press F1 at the first screen instead of "enter", and then type "expert" at the command prompt.

Thanks emh. Although, there's not a big difference between something being weirdly hidden and something not being there at all to n00bs. I think they should have made it less convoluted, how the hell would someone know that without reading the material provided with a box set :?:

Guest bigstrawdog

ok, did a fresh install in expert mode, still no success with the voodoo.

tried selecting a bunch of different accellerator drivers when setting up video (tried the Diamond ones cause its a Diamond Monster 3D but to no avail, only wants to use the ati).

I know the card works cause it renders fine when i boot in W$98.

so any sugestions??

Guest bigstrawdog

glxinfo returns these interesting lines:

Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".

direct rendering: No

OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org

OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect

OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 4.0.4

OpenGL Extensions: blah blah...

(I did not install Mesa independantly, I believe it installed with X)

glxgears gives me the following:

Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0". (<--- im thinking this is a problem)

345 frames in 5.0 seconds = 69.000 FPS

320 frames in 5.0 seconds = 64.000 FPS

etc..

That's kinda strange. Mesa should not be necessary, unless your card REALLY requires it...

Have you scratched around on dri.sourceforge.net? Another option would be to write a _very nice_ letter to the guys at XFree (www.xfree.org) and ask them what they suggest.

I would also consider recompiling my kernel and looking more carefully at the modules, but lets leave that as a last resort...

I'm assuming you've also done the logical thing, which would be to Google for a fix?