Browser suggestion

william

Could someone give me any suggestion about a good browser? I've already tried Nestcape, Opera, Konqueror and Galeon and I would like to test as many browser as possible in order to evaluate which one satisfy my needs.

Netscape (6+), Mozilla, and Firebird are all very similar browsers-all are based off of the mozilla code-along with Galeon. I doubt you'll find a _huge_ difference between them. I personally prefer Firebird, simply because it's nice and it doesn't have a built-in email & im client, which I never made use of. And it's nicer looking than Galeon.

Guest johnKFT

Links-graphic and Dillo are a bit limiting but great for viewing local HTML files as they are both very small (especially Dillo) and lightning fast - as in instantaneous. Amaya is worth a look for interest but is a bit idiosyncratic for daily use. I have tried them all and settled on Phoenix (now Firebird) but a combination of circumstances has now led me to Opera 7.11. What you get for 3.7MB is incredible.

PS Have a look also at BrowseX - unusual and with some interesting features.

http://dillo.auriga.wearlab.de/

Can't seem to lay my hands on the other links but Freshmeat or Google-linux will find them

Guest stodge

Does anyone have a Mandrake 9.1 binary of epiphany? I don't think I have enough development RPMs installed to build it myself from source (lack of disk space).

Ok. I think I'm using firebird just now. But How to make sure of that, considering tha in MDK 9.1 mozilla software is originally installed.

After installing firebird I ran through console "mozilla firebird" comand and of course a browser has just started running. But when I check the help about it says Mozilla 1.3.1. Where is firebird??? How to be sure that it's running instead original Mozilla?

Guest johnKFT

william,

Instead of calling mozilla firebird from the console - I suspect it is just reading the mozilla part and loading mozilla - open the firebird directory and run the executable file called MozillaFirebird. In fact if your paths are set suitably you should get it by just typing MozillaFirebird in the console. Note the single word and capitals for M and F. The Help about bit will definitely tell you it is Firebird and it has a big picture of a Phoenix.

See the help website http://www.texturizer.net/firebird/

It is a very good browser and is destined to take over from Mozilla. I used it for a long time but was eventually persuaded back to Opera by its speed and small size and the new incorporated email client.

John

I got it!!! Evething went ok, just running Firebird 0.6. At a first glance it looks perfect. The best one I've tried.(there's no account for taste!!).

The only thing I will have to study is to find a way to create a shortcut to the program or solve the issue that Firebird doesn't initialize through terminal. I have to run Nautilus and click on the MozillaFirebird shell script icon to make it run.

I will look up in the Mozila Firebird Help site if there's a solution for this problem.

Guest johnKFT

If you are running KDE or Gnome you should be able to put a shortcut on the desktop or panel quite easily. I do not run either now so I cannot remember exactly how it is done, but you may be able to simply drag and drop it from Nautilus, or try a right-click menu on the Nautilus icon for it - you may get a 'Put shortcut on desktop' or something. Or try looking for 'Shortcut' in the Gnome or KDE help.

The Firebird help site and forums (link from the help site) are very helpful - put them in your bookmarks and browse every morning.

Easiest way to add the icon to your desktop:

right click on the desktop, choose "new launcher", give it a name and then put the path to the file (in my case, /usr/bin/MozillaFirebird-may be different for you) and choose an icon.

you should be good to go.

Ok. That's what I did yesterday as soon as I posted this question.

Of course it worked, but for me it doesn't sound reasonable to have to create a path with application launcher to be able to call the program, considering that in most cases you call the app with a simple comand through console.

What is it? A bug or something that doesn't have an explanation?

Thanks again and despite my last question, what counts is that the browser is running pretty well.

Guest Adriano

I downloaded GTK2 enabled Firebird. It looks gorgeous indeed, but does't want to close itself from the top right button, only from File-quit. Funny though, if you press another button after pressing the close button (e.g. new tab) it closes itself... My binary is from 05/june/2003.