Need help installing 9.1 from SCSI cd-rom

Guest Gromit

Guest Gromit

Hi all. I'm an old timer on computers, but a newbie to Linux. I've been trying to install Mandrake 9.1 on an old unused computer to experiment with PHP, MySQL etc, and have run into a problem right away that I can't find the answer to. I've done a million web searches, perhaps the info is out there but I just don't know the right thing to search for.

The computer I want to install it on only has an old Plextor SCSI cd-rom, not an IDE model, so I can't boot off the cd. I made a boot disk on a windows machine using the cdrom.img file, and booted off of it. The first screen comes up asking to press Enter or F1 for more options. I hit Enter, and in a few seconds it comes up and tells me that no CD rom was detected, and to choose a SCSI driver to try from a list with cdrom.o, aic75.... etc.

None of the drivers on the list work, from what I can tell. That doesn't seem surprising, my SCSI card is an Adaptec AHA-152X compatible, but that isn't listed amongst the choices. None of the choices do anything, so that's where I am stuck.

I've searched the 3 CD's I downloaded, there's nothing about scsi cards anywhere. Numerous web pages I've found talked about typing aha152x= and my ioport, irq etc, and I have all that info, but I don't know where to type this. I've tried at the first boot: prompt in the F1 screen, but that didn't do anything. This seems odd anyways, because if the driver was already on the boot floppy, why wouldn't it just give it to me as a choice?

I've tried using F1 and typing expert to switch to that mode, but the same thing happens. It did ask about a disk containing third party kernel modules, but of course I don't have any thing like that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Guest Gromit

Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't type linux, I thought that was part of the linux mem=256M example.

I just tried it now, and I can't see any difference, it still gets the same "no cd" error. I booted from the floppy, hit F1, typed "linux aha152x=0x340,11,7,1" (I didn't type the quotes of course) and pressed enter.

If that's the correct thing to type, then perhaps it's something else. I know the drive works, I've tested it in Dos 6.22 with a boot disk with drivers.

Guest Gromit

So that confirms that I've been typing the right thing. Rats. I was hoping for a simple typo or mistake.

I guess I'm going to have to cannibalize my main machine for the IDE cd-rom, and try it with that.