Mandriva 2008 Spring free & synce-kpm

I am already trying Mandriva 2008 Spring free today - the Powerpack is already ordered :) - and did the default KDE3 installation first. Then I exactly followed the instruction for installing and configuring the PDA synchronisation:

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2008.1_Synchronization

Unfortunately, I got stuck when trying to create a partnership in the mainscreen of the SynCE KDE PDA Manager. Running the synce-kpm on the shell, revealed the following error:

GUI :: Creating partnership
DS :: Create partnership
Error happened during creation of partnership...
Error was:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Python.AttributeError: Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/service.py", line 696, in _message_cb
retval = candidate_method(self, *args, **keywords)
 File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/synceKPM/dataserver/dataserver.py", line 542, in createPartnership
raise e
DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Python.AttributeError: Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/service.py", line 696, in _message_cb
retval = candidate_method(self, *args, **keywords)
 File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/SyncEngine/kernel.py", line 689, in CreatePartnership
id=self.PshipManager.CreateNewPartnership(name, sync_items).info.id
 File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/SyncEngine/pshipmgr.py", line 457, in CreateNewPartnership
self.engine.rapi_session.SetConfig("Sync.Sources", source)
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'SetConfig'

Any idea why this is and how I can solve the problem? Is it a library / packaging problem?

I have followed your advice, but it only resulted in the SynCE-KPM error, I have posted above, and not in an error on the sync-engine console. Nevertheless, I have got it work with a trick, which I found out while playing with the system. Trying KDE, KDE4 and GNOME, I noticed that the partnerships on the device suddenly appeared in the Partnerships Manager tab when I logged out from KDE and logged in into GNOME. So I have found out, that I have to restart KDE after the first connection to the PDA to make the partnerships on the device appear in the SynCE KPM. Logging in into KDE again, I can then see the partnerships on the device and am now able to create a new partnership for KDE.

I have also noted, that the PDA was only detected after I had configured one of the network cards and that the SynCE KPM always crashed during the start after I had installed KDE4. In Kontact, there is a charset problem in KAdressbook with the imported data (not in the calendar and the tasks), then the usual timezone problem with import of dates into the calendar and the task reminders have vanished during the import. Well, I shall have a look at Evolution, if its synchronsation is already more mature. Very good was the speed of the synchronisation, which seemed to be much faster than under Windows! All in all, it looks promising despite the teething problems. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I followed the suggestions in this post, but when I entered sync-engine in the terminal (as user) I got the following:

bash-3.2$ sync-engine
SynCE sync-engine starting up
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/bin/sync-engine", line 84, in <module>
configObj = Config.Config(progopts)
 File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/SyncEngine/config.py", line 293, in __init__
shutil.copy(oldconf, self.config_path)
 File "/usr/lib/python2.5/shutil.py", line 80, in copy
copyfile(src, dst)
 File "/usr/lib/python2.5/shutil.py", line 46, in copyfile
fsrc = open(src, 'rb')
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/config/config.xml'

This is using Mandriva One Spring 2008. Any ideas?

dcovn: are you on 2008 Spring? it's looking for the config file in the wrong place, but that should not happen in 2008 Spring, it's patched to fix that problem.

dolphin: the character set issues in KDE are a Kontact issue, I have a bug filed on it. Nothing intrinsically to do with synce / opensync, Kontact just doesn't handle this very well. It works fine in Evolution.

dcovn: are you on 2008 Spring? it's looking for the config file in the wrong place, but that should not happen in 2008 Spring, it's patched to fix that problem.

I'm running 2008 Spring as well, installed from scratch last night, and I have the exact same problem...

IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/config/config.xml'[/code]

I had the exact same problem. The fix was:

- Quit SynCE-KPM

$ cd $HOME

$ mkdir .synce

$ cd .synce

$ cp /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/SyncEngine/config/config.xml .

- Start SynCE-KPM

Hope this helps! :)

Note: I am indeed running Mandriva One 2008 Spring.

Now that synce-kpm shows no errors when I run it from a terminal, I am left trying to get it to recognize my device. I noticed in the wiki that the Mandriva firewall can interfere with the connection, but "Ethernet: rndis0" is not listed with "Ethernet: eth0" when the screen specifying interfaces to apply the firewall to come up, so I am guessing the problem is with rndis, but I am not sure. When I plug in the device and run dmesg this is what I get:

usb 5-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
usb 5-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
ipaq 5-2:1.0: PocketPC PDA converter detected
usb 5-2: PocketPC PDA converter now attached to ttyUSB0

The device is an iPAQ running WM5. Any ideas about why synce-kpm is not seeing my device? I tried closing it and opening it while the device is connected, but still no change.

... but "Ethernet: rndis0" is not listed with "Ethernet: eth0" when the screen specifying interfaces to apply the firewall to come up...

The same thing happened to me as well. I don't know what fixed it, but I completed the firewall configuration (while not seeing rndis0), then rebooted, and when I went into the firewall configuration again the rndis0 was there...

dcovn: the ipaq module is getting in the way. I was thinking of messing with the hardware detection tables to fix that before release, but I hadn't actually seen anyone run into it yet...now I have :\

You need to blacklist the ipaq module. Edit /etc/modprobe.conf and add this line:

blacklist ipaq

then restart.

sjaddow: well, yes, but there's no reason you should need to do that. I don't understand why it's looking in the wrong place. Let me see if I can figure it out...

ah. I bet I've got it. You guys have /backports repositories enabled. I dropped too much of a patch from the 0.11.1 package that went to backports. I'll fix it. Thanks.

The backports repository is on the repository list, but I have NOT selected it - neither as activated nor updates.

Is there a package version number I can use to check if the package came from the backports repository or not?

Oh, and by the way (I just saw the title of this thread): I'm running powerpack, not free... :)

Edited by Sjaddow

I didn't remember enabling backports repositories, so I checked, and none of the backports repositories are enabled.

Also, I blacklisted the ipaq module as you suggested, and still no change. Dmesg gives:

usb 5-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
usb 5-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

And, rndis0 is still not appearing in the firewall configuration wizard.

sjaddow: Hmm. Crud.

Can you do:

rpm -q sync-engine

and give me the result? Thanks.

dcovn: looks like nothing's getting loaded for the device now. Uh - is it definitely a Windows Mobile 5+ device? We don't have anything for WM 2003 and earlier yet. If it's a WM2003 or earlier device, un-blacklist ipaq, and...er...if you read French, follow this...

http://www.frlinux.net/?section=portables&article=214

I'd like to get it going as nicely as WM5+ stuff does, but I don't have an old-skool test device :\

Edited by adamw