Lexmark Z35

WilliamS

Guest JaseP

Did you try running PDQ instead of CUPS as your print que system???

Try that.

I spontaneously lost CUPS in Mandrake 8.2 using a Lexmark z52.

I think Mandy's CUPS implementation is a little spotty.

• 2 months later...
Guest GorGor

Hullo, I know this is an old post but I am a dinosaur. I just installed this today so am rushing this off in case anyone needs hints.

bought z35 as the box said there were drivers. And there is a reasonable one at

http://www.lexmark-europe.com/emea/europe/...iver/index.html

Other posts mention that Mdk link deeply to CUPS so you can not install this driver until you break this link. So you need mcc Mdk control centre to have the option of LPR as a print server under the expert setting of the printer setup.

http://www.rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/mandrake...-2mdk.i586.html

The above link takes you to the info page for a 586 processor and tells you file dependencies. After you have grabbed them from your mdk 9.1 cd or rpmfind.net I had one error for file textutils which had conflicts that did not seem to affect my final result. Yep I never got to install this file.

Once you have mcc accepting LPR as the default print server, you never touch mcc print stuff ever again, heh heh.

Last check b4 install, check that kcontrol, images for x-eps has a viewer called KGhostview. This allows the lexmark test page to work.

Now you can untar and run the install scritpt for the lexmark driver. You get a calibration page and then you can run the enclosed test page if Kghostview is not broken.

NOW THE EASY bit.

Once you are in a file the print button should bring up a Kprint dialog assuming you have installed kde. Your z35 should show as an option and always use LPR program to print.

The readme file for lex also mentions you can regain the graphical control panel for lex by running

/usr/local/lexmark/z25-z35/z25-z35sc

Ahhh, I may have to amend this slightly as this is the first time everything worked. I want to delete the cups files but some had dependencies that I will look into.

for those who like command lines , feel free to do the reading on how to use the non-graphical way

Guest GorGor

amendment 1 (more to follow I am sure)

textutils fails to install as coreutils (if installed) is a combo that includes this utililty.

Strangely I could not find the blinking thing using file finder in konqueror but the usr/share/doc for coreutils exists so thats good enough for me.

Things to do

printing a simple text file from say kwrite is fine but my admin for open office is broken, so I need to get my usb lexi showing.

(2) kcontrol help file says under system I should see printing but there is no entry for this, instead there is an entry for printers under peripherals

I know the kcontrol doc says LPR support is currently lacking but I need to get open office to print.

Guest GorGor

SUCCESS you beauty.

Open Office now prints. However, I was following tips from this posting

http://www.linuxprinting.org/lexmark-faq.html#q_14_4

and maybe its me, I got a messed up /etc/printcap file.

I tried to solve this with lprngprinttool available from lprng.org BUT this tool failed to aauto detect my usb. I tried to solve using printtool from rpmfind.net but had too many files depenencies and still had a conflict.

So I gave up and changed my mind and found I could use mcc printerdrake after fixing my printcap file.

so the final hints on getting lexi to work are as follows:

ASSUMES you have cups already installed and Mdk 9.1

1) Install lprng from http://www.rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/mandrake...-2mdk.i586.html

This page mentions the depenencies, coreutils replaces textutils.

2) run printerdrake and select expert mode and change printing system type from cups to lprng.

3) staying with printerdrake delete all printers

4) delete /etc/printcap

5) touch /etc/printcap

COMMENT this ensures you have what I started from, a virginal printcap

6) grab the lexmark driver from www.lexmark.com (for US driver) or from here for the euro driver http://www.lexmark-europe.com/emea/europe/...iver/index.html

7) run the install script to install it, when the graphical control centre asks you to align the heads do it and then print test page and exit which saves settings.

8) go back into printerdrake, the lexmark has modified the /etc/printcap file but you can now delete the printer lp0.

9) still in printerdrake, double click your new lexmark entry, and change connection type from pipe to command to local printer

This then autodetects and may give you a default lp0 and the usb option. select the usb and follow the prompts to save the changes and exit

10) run open office and test PRINT from the pulldown menu, you will see no lexmark but generic should be there, THIS IS IT run print

11) That should be it, kwite is a little better in its version of print it should show you an entry for lexmark

12) to view ink levels or recalibrate etc, run the command from the unpacked lexmark readme

/usr/local/lexmark/z25-z35/z25-z35lsc

13) No luck? re-run the install script and try again

hope this helps

Guest GorGor

grrrrrr, grrrrrr

OOPS all is not as it seems, I went into my nephews account, he runs KDE and I started konsole, I know, I should have done this for my ICE but who cares.

trying to print from ooo failed so i ran printerdrake thru konsole and got this

NO package named LPRng comment WTF?

module lp and parpot_pc and parport_probe modules not found.

Now I am guessing I have to re-compile my kernel and enable this modules and make modules install etc.

But I won't, heh heh, as I am waiting for 2.6, I read some reviews that said 2.6 makes everything go very fast so I can't be bothered playing around with this anymore, grrrr, instead I will dual boot back to win98 create a link into mydox and print from ruddy windows.

I might add I should have twigged something was afoot when, in ICE, printerdrake gave dialog boxes saying installing software, in hindsight, printerdrake was broken.

Well that is my lowlife opinion. To others don't give up, keep on trucking etc