How do I set up video capture in Mandrake 9.1?

pastored

Hello, everyone.

Here's my situation: I am running Mandrake 9.1 on a Walmart $199 special. (Microtel 1.1Gz Duron processor, 20G hd, onboard video)

I have installed two after-market items: 1) a Maxtor 160G hd, and 2) my ATI All-in-Wonder Pro PCI 4mb video card which captures video just fine in Windoze.

I have found a lot of software that will allow me to process captured video, and I can even VIEW the TV input using avview or xawtv.

However, I CANNOT, for the life of me, figure out HOW to capture video in Linux. It's driving me crazy, and I really, REALLY do not want to have to dual boot M$ just for ONE thing. It would cause far more problems than it's worth, and I don't want to have to dedicate an entire partition of my HD to do ONE task.

Can anyone on here PLEASE show me how to configure Linux to capture video? I've read everything I can find on the subject, but it assumes a level of Linux competency that I have not yet attained.

My goal: to be able to shoot video with my analog camera, do capture of analog signal and convert to digital format (either AVI or MPEG, I don't care which), import said DV into video editing program, and cut raw footage into a movie.

I'm pretty sure that Cinelerra will allow me to replace a demo version of Adobe Premiere, so I'm not too concerned about the editing... it's the CAPTURE that eludes me.

Well? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. And I wouldn't even mind "RTFM" if I could just have someone point me to the RIGHT manual! :D

Thanks so much, everyone!

I've not had time to set things up (or figure things out) but some time ago before buying a tuner card I had a look to see what's there for linux and tv/video-in capturing.

If you have an image in xawtv, I'll assume you have the v4l device (video for linux), check in /dev if v4l exists (as a dir or file).

You may want to look into mencoder for the capturing.

It is command line based but the quality and performance should be good.

It's a relative to mplayer, same developers. Meaning: confusing docs, devvers shouting at you for asking dumb questions but in functionality probably getting the most out of any hardware....

One thing: I don't think you can use the builtin ATI mjpeg encoder, due to ATI's decision not to give necessary info to opensource developers.. or maybe it's just really tough..