Mandrake 9.1 install failure - Firewire driver.

Guest Proselytus Linux

Guest Proselytus Linux

Having difficulty with Mandrake Linux 9.1 install on a Presario mdl 2545US. The inst CD appears to halt during stage 2 install while attempting to install a driver for bus/firewire card Texas Instruments|TSB43AB21 IEEE-1394 Controller (PHY/Link) 1394a-2000, after selecting language, lic. agreement, mouse, PCM/CIAA cards, and IDE.

The partitioning went fine using Partition Magic 8.0 in WinXP.

I’ve tried to test the .iso file using md5sum.exe in WinXP but I am not getting the correct results (nether pass or fail). I don’t require the firewire port to be function with Linux (at least at this time). Any ideas, suggestions as to how I might continue the install?

In advance, thank you for any and all assistance.

This sounds most likely a bad burn. I think most hangs during stage 2 are caused by bad cds. Should use a quality blank (NO fancy colored ones) and burn at about 50 % of capability of burner.

I probally would try to download the ISO once again to get a passing MD5 check.

If the hardware is a problem, the hangs and freezes usually seem to occer more on boot up of a new system.

Just my observations here.

Guest anon
I’ve tried to test the .iso file using md5sum.exe in WinXP but I am not getting the correct results (nether pass or fail).

The md5sum should give you something, not just nothing. I have never used it myself, so here's a link to set it up, just replace open cd with your ISO file. http://www.theopencd.org/md5.php

Guest Proselytus Linux

Scoopy / Anon:

Thanks for the insights! After going over the md5sum info on this website I did get a host of FAILED messages (not just one) on the inst .iso file. I head back for home next week and have a copy of 9.0 that works fine on my workstation. I'll load it first and upgrade to 9.1 once I get Linux on the laptop.

Again, sincere appreciation for the info.

just as a heads up, make sure to avoid doing the "upgrade" option during install. do a new install, formating everything accept possibly your /home partition. upgrading tends to cause major issues (although I had no problems, but apparently I'm one of the lucky few).