Starting slrn in terminal from menu

First, I'll say I can start slrn fine from an open aterm window. But I use FluxBox and I'd like to be able to start slrn from a FluxBox menu entry like I do Mutt, vim, etc.

But it doesn't work. For example, my FluxBox menu entry for aterm is:

[exec] (aterm) {aterm -fg 15 -bg 8 -cr 6 -pr 1 -sl 400 -tr +sb -sh 100 -geometry 80x30+20-15}

Works perfect. To take it another step, to start Mutt in aterm from the Flux menu, the menu entry is like this:

[exec] (Mutt) {aterm -fg 15 -bg 8 -cr 6 -pr 1 -tr +sb -sh 100 -geometry 80x30+5+15 -e mutt}

Of course vim and others work about the same, basically just change the end to "-e vim" or whatever. Usually this works great - I use a VERY long script following "-e mc -C base_color= blah blah" to start Midnight Commander in color in a transparent aterm window. Very cool.

So I wrote an entry for slrn:

[exec] (SLRN) {aterm -fg 15 -bg 8 -cr 6 -pr 1 -tr +sb -sh 100 -e slrn -s ~/.slrnrc -f jnewsrc.tera}

But that (and some more simplified versions) won't load properly - just opens an empty terminal that won't accept any input, no cursor or anything.

I know it's no big thing to open aterm and type "slrn" but I'd still like to sort this out, mostly just so I know WHY it doesn't work. I've got the same problem with 1 or 2 other apps and I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong in the menu script. I realize it's really not a slrn problem, but something more to do with the calling software (aterm or FluxBox).

Any suggestions? Thanks!

[exec] (SLRN) {aterm -fg 15 -bg 8 -cr 6 -pr 1 -tr +sb -sh 100 -e slrn -s ~/.slrnrc -f jnewsrc.tera}

Any suggestions?  Thanks!

I cannont find any '-s' option in slrn's man page; maybe you meant '-i' (but anyhow, i don't think you need to put that option at all since slrn will look for .slrnrc by default

IMHO "jnewsrc.tera" should have the path to it

So I would have done it this way:

[exec] (SLRN) {NNTPSERVER="news.somewhere.com" aterm -fg 15 -bg 8 -cr 6 -pr 1 -tr +sb -sh 100 -e slrn -f ~/.jnewsrc.tera}

Thanks aru, worked perfect!

You were right the"-s" shoulda been "-i". I was trying to type that string in a hurry from memory at work. I also left out "~/." in "-f jnewsrc.tera". Shoulda waited to post 'til I got home and got it right. Anyway, the whole "-i ~/.slrnrc" part was just me trying to force slrn to find the file.

But you got me thinking and the thing I found that was really the problem was in the *actual* menu string. I'd left out the 1st "." in "~/.jnewsrc.tera" Can't believe I didn't catch that before...really dumb...sorry to bother you, that was a kinda brain-dead post, but thanks for the help.