Trying to write an ebuild

Doh! - can't believe I forgot to put configure in :oops: I have compiled from source before and I was aware that this was an important step.

OK - I now get to the compile stage, but I get an error during compilation:

ClanBomber.h:105: friend declaration requires class-key, i.e. `friend struct 

Debug'

make[3]: *** [Disease_Fast.o] Error 1

make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/clanbomber-1.2_alpha/work/clanbomber-1.02a/clanbomber'

make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/clanbomber-1.2_alpha/work/clanbomber-1.02a/clanbomber'

make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/clanbomber-1.2_alpha/work/clanbomber-1.02a'

make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

!!! ERROR: app-games/clanbomber-1.2_alpha failed.

!!! Function src_compile, Line 28, Exitcode 2

!!! (no error message)

I have had this error when just tryingto compile without portage. I have included all the dependencies mentioned on the clanbomber website - and I have absolutely no clue what could be causing this.

Configure succeeded - so I'm not sure if I'm missing a dependency or what...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you cannot do a ./configure without error when doing it without portage, I don't think it is going to work within portage too. Portage is just a way to install dependencies and keep track of what was installed and where. I would definitively try to ./configure && make without portage. If those two things work then go with portage .. this will do the 'make install' for you and it will be REALLY easy to uninstall afterward (ie 'emerge unmerge clanbomber')

MOttS

the error isn't during configure MottS, it's during the make. and i think he realize portage won't get rid of that error :-)

phunni: i'd do some googling and see if i can find any info on that, maybe check the gentoo forums, if i were you :)

The only thing I can find on google is the following:

Your problem is caused by gcc 3 stricker friend declaration checking; you

should stick with gcc 2 (g++ 2) until the opengl package is updated. Use:

g++-2 -o glui glui.C -lglui -lglut32 -lglu32 -lopengl32

I'm not entirely certain what this means - do I have to use gcc 2? I hope not :(

:x

OK - I have installed gcc 2.95* and used gcc-config to make it the default (temporarily)

now my ebuild fails at the configure stage - claiming I don't have zlib

1) I do

2) it's a dependency, so shouldn't portage have picked up on it

3) I do!

so - how do I progress from here? At least I feel like I am making a little bit of progress

yes, of course you're making progress when the ebuild fails at an earlier step ;-)

portage doesn't pick up on dependencies that you don't tell it to pick up on...atleast not from my understanding, but i haven't tried making an ebuild-all of my advice thus far has been based on my experience with compiling from source.

maybe the configure is looking in the wrong directory? what directory is zlib in (maybe it's in a dir that has to do with gcc3, and since you switched to 2.* it don't look tha no mo)? that's my best guess...

It's the zlib that's got me stuck - managing two versions of gcc is actually quite easy if you use gcc-config, you just switch between the two

I'll ask about the zlib thing on the gentoo forum - see if they have any pearls of wisdom...

recieved the following in an email from the clanbmber developer (or one of them) who said:

use the cvs version or use g++-2.95.

i think i need to make a 1.02b release, I am getting a lot of email :-(

So - it would be cool if someone could help me get my ebuild to install from CVS - otherwise, I'm going to wait for the 1.02b release and hopefully that'll work with gcc 3.2.2

OK - I found a coupel of example ebuilds that seem to install from CVS - but I didn't really understand them.

I kind of have two questions:

1) How do I find out what modules are avaiable from CVS?

2) What directory will be created containing the download - i.e. where must I cd to before I can compile?

Anyone know the answer to this? I'm not really a CVS expert (although I'm writing a chapter for a course on it this week :oops: )

BTW - I got tired of waiting for another realease, so I decided to try the CVS route for now