Red Hat 8 to MDK 9.1 help needed.

Shielder

Hi All,

I'm thinking of buying MDK 9.1 and installing it on my 6 Gb Linux partition on my 30Gb HDD. It's currently occupied by RH8 booting via a dual boot option (with winME) in grub.

My question is, how can I erase RH8 from my Linux partition, install MDK 9.1 and still be able to boot to Window$ when I want?

I was thinking of just using Partition Magic to format the Linux partition, but I noticed a different thread talk about using SuSe to remove grub, then reinstalling grub when installing Mandrake. I'm a little confused. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Andy

What I would do is use the Mandrake partitioning tools. They will do exactly what you want. Also, if you install grub (or lilo) as your boot manager and choose to have it install to the MBR, it will automatically set up dual booting for Windows for you and (I believe) overwrite any existing bootloader.

You could, if you wanted to, use RedHat and uninstall Grub that way, then install Mandrake and install either Lilo or Grub, whichever you want.

During the mandrake install, choose 'Recomended" Insteaed of "Expert" install.When it asks you where you want to install, choose install on existing partition. It will then flash up the existing partitions and you just tick the one with the redhat install on it. Mandrake will reformat the parition and install on that partition. Mandrake will also automatically install the lilo boot loader which will overwrite the redhat grub boot loader. Lilo will be automatically configured to have an entry for windows.

During the mandrake install, choose 'Recomended" Insteaed of "Expert" install.

My memory might be failing me, but I'm sure 9.1 does not have that option, it left with 9.0 - once again, I might be wrong.

I would simply nuke RH8 and install 9.1 - the installer will automatically find windows and set up your boot manager...