just downloaded and bout to install

Guest ack389

Guest ack389

I have just downloaded and burned Mandrake 9.1 isos. I have a few questions about installatoin that need some clearing up.

1. I will repartition my 60 gig drive. I know how to using diskdrake, but am not sure what filesystem to use. Reccomendation? Also, I am planning on doing this

Windows installed-----3 gig

Mandrake install-------2 gig

Shared data/software-55 gig

Will this work?

2. Will I loose all data if I resize the ntfs(winblows), and if so, should I install windows again only first

Thanks in advance for helping!

If I had 60G to play with, I would give windows 10G, Linux 20G, and have a 10G share, with the rest empty for future growth.

Ntfs used to be a problem. I have read other threads that are saying that Mandrake can now handle resizing ntfs without data loss. BACK UP YOUR SYSTEM!! I have personally done installs that went smooth and installs that kept me up all night. If you do reinstall windows and it is xp, choose fat32 and don't use ntfs. For Mandrake, I use ReiserFS. :wink:

Use Mandrake to partition your drive. Make a fat32 partition at the front of the drive, and widows will install just fine. I install Mandrake, use the boot disk to repair the mbr, install windows, and then use the boot disk to reinstall lilo. I am currently running xp and 9.1

Guest ack389

thanks for your help!

Um, are you saying no matter what I have to reinstall windows?

Also, I have heard usb 2.0 problems, does mandrake surpass these?

I have personally encountered both situations, where I had to reinstall, and where everything went smoothly without any data loss. If you have no critical data, or good back up, rebuild the drive. Either way, if you have back up, then you have no worries!

My new mb (got it 6 weeks ago) has usb 2.0 and I have no problems with Mandrake. In fact, I only sync my palm with linux.

Do a search in on the board for ntfs and you will find recent discussions on this.

This link might be good, toward the end.

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=5369