Xine error

william

After having installed these packages from PLF.

libdvdcss2-1.2.6-1plf.i586.rpm

libdvdcss2-devel-1.2.6-1plf.i586.rpm

libfame0.8-0.8.10-3plf.i586.rpm

librte0.4-0.4-2plf.i586.rpm

libxvidcore3-20030319-2plf.i586.rpm

libxvidcore3-divx-devel-20030319-2plf.i586.rpm

win32-codecs-1.4-1plf.i586.rpm

xine-aa-1-0.beta12.4plf.i586.rpm

xine-alsa-1-0.beta12.4plf.i586.rpm

xine-arts-1-0.beta12.4plf.i586.rpm

xine_d4d_plugin-0.3.2-2plf.i586.rpm

xine-d5d-0.2.7-2plf.i586.rpm

xine_dmd_plugin-1.0.7-1plf.i586.rpm

xine-dvdnav-1-0.beta12.4plf.i586.rpm

xine-dxr3-1-0.beta12.4plf.i586.rpm

xine-esd-1-0.beta12.4plf.i586.rpm

xine-faad-1-0.beta12.4plf.i586.rpm

xine-flac-1-0.beta12.4plf.i586.rpm

xine-gnomevfs-1-0.beta12.4plf.i586.rpm

xine-lib-compat-dxr3-0.9.13-10plf.i586.rpm

xine-lib-compat-faad-0.9.13-10plf.i586.rpm

xine-lib-compat-win32-0.9.13-10plf.i586.rpm

xine-plugins-1-0.beta12.4plf.i586.rpm

xine-ui-0.9.21-1mdk.i586.rpm

xine-ui-aa-0.9.21-1mdk.i586.rpm

xine-ui-fb-0.9.21-1mdk.i586.rpm

xine-win32-1-0.beta12.4plf.i586.rpm

I've gotten the following error message when running Xine through terminal:

[wgodois@wgodois wgodois]$ xine

This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.9.21

© 2000-2003 by G. Bartsch and the xine project team.

Built with xine library 1.0.0 (1-beta12)

Found xine library version: 1.0.0 (1-beta4).

xine: relocation error: xine: undefined symbol: xine_engin                        e_set_param

Before installation I was not able to play my DVD's with xine, despite the combo DVD/CD-RW drive has been recognized by MDK 9.1

Any help will be very much appreciated.

All you need after clean install is to add plf sources and do:

urpmi libdvdcss2

(if memory serves, ... if it doesn't work, just do urpmi dvd and see what looks most like libdvdcss2 in the proposed list..)

This will enable both mplayer and xine to playback encrypted (standard) dvd's.

As to your current problem, sorry, don't know, hope others will help.

Sorry for my silence aRTee.... :wink: was in a business trip.

After installing some missing plugins I got everything working properly here. Thanks.

BTW, do you have any suggestion of a good dvd player, with some good skins, whatever.....

Sorry for my silence aRTee.... :wink: was in a business trip.

After installing some missing plugins I got everything working properly here. Thanks.

BTW' date=' do you have any suggestion of a good dvd player, with some good skins, whatever.....[/quote']

xien can play your dvd's ...it has all possible options you can think of I thought...The dvd-menu is hidden under NAV, ....if you use xine-ui and I checked you use that.....BUT

$ xine

This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.9.21

© 2000-2003 by G. Bartsch and the xine project team.

Built with xine library 1.0.0 (1-beta12)

Found xine library version: 1.0.0 (1-beta4).

xine: relocation error: xine: undefined symbol: xine_engin e_set_param

It seems you're using xine-lib 1-beta4 which is REALLY OLD.....isn't xine-lib-beta12 available as rmp? (I don't know, always install xine by tar-ball..which isn't really difficult.....it's just some extra typing......). Xine-beta-12 pays unencrypted dvd's out-of-the-box, but seems you have dvdcss, it will play the other too.

I play everything with xine...but use the frontend gxine, find it better....also has a much bettre library-system(for storing your music, films,....) tha xine-ui to my opinion...

About the relocation error..I'm not sure, but it can be the xine-ui and the xine-lib

rpm are not compatible with each other....with this I mean the following:

xine-ui has to know here xine-lib is....depending on the method you create the rpm...this will eb accomplished by setting a system-wide variable or you give it directley to xine-ui. So, like it seems you have installed xine-lib-beta4(really old) and xine-ui-beta21(the latest), it woudln't be surprising they point to different locations or are compiled with another method liek described above....

I would recommend searching if tehre isn't an rpm for xine-lib-beta12. It woud surprise if not, because, you have the latest version of xine-ui. If I woudl have the time to set it up I would deliver rpm's to Mandrake, but I don't have that luxury at the moment....I will help you install xine-ui by tarball if you don't succeed..this wil cost me 30 lines or so I think or less....anyway, not much....depending on where you installed all theplugins for xine....., but this can be tracked...

Michel:

I did consider it a challenge....

As a newbie, I've never seen myself capable of doing a so hard software installation as I did. After many years used to just click on a icon to have a sofware installed, I can consider the xine-lib-1-beta 12 and gxine-0.3.3 installation a real "success", at least I was able to play some dvd's despite of some "minor" observation messages!!!! as bellow:

[root@wgodois root]# gxine

server: trying to connect to already running instance of gxine (/root/.gxine/socket)...

connect: Connection refused

server: socket '/root/.gxine/socket' created

video_out_xv: Xv extension is present but I couldn't find a usable yuv12 port.

Looks like your graphics hardware driver doesn't support Xv?!

video_out_syncfb: aborting. 

(unable to open syncfb device  "/dev/syncfb")

What are the meanings of these messages? I've uncheked the the cddb box, but still trying to connect to something..... I also don't understand the meaning of XV extension and "usable yuv12 port"??!?!?!?

The graphics hardware driver doesn't support XV? What's XV?

The point is: What's the importance of this sort of details, if everything here seems to be working properly?

Anyway, thanks for your advices.

and aRTee, thanks for your constant help.

You have different kinds of displaying video....I don't know the specific details, but you ahve XV, XShm,....and many more...XV is bettre(read faster) than XV...So if Xv was detected, you should use that( this is normally used automatically if you had it...). I'll see if I can get more info about your problem, but you could try to start xine with the slower(but not bad!!!) video driver XShm....in a prompt type this(if you have a shortcut on your desktop or so..you can type this command also in the execute section..):

gxine -V XShm and see if it works...

The connecting stuff....Gxine has for every use(in it's home directiry) a spot where it can see if gxiern ahs already been started....So whatever, wherever you try to play soomething..gxine will first check if there is already a version of gxine running and will use that instead..This way, you don't have to wait for gxine to start up every time, where you have laready one running...

On gxine some notes....I had to search how to specidfy wher you want to put a bookmark....Just first put all the bookmarks you want and then arrange them....

Open "Manage bookmarks" and from there on it's drag and dropµ..Click on th bookmark and drag it to where you want:)...Maybe you knew this already....

It probably switched automatically to another driver..so as long it works and things run, you have nothing to be worried about...I have 10 different video-drivers listed or so, so there is plenty of choice...But you still have to hope one works for you...:), although I think this shouldn't be a problem for the most..So, the error you get is just saying..xv-driver not available although soem way it's detected, so use another one...

If you still want to try xv.....here are a fes steps that have to have a positive result....

type in a shell:

* xdpyinfo | grep XV

->it has to ouput soemthing like XV-video..else the C-server doesn't support the etension, but I think it will, since I suppose we're both using Mandrake 9.1 standard-install..

* type in a shell:

cat cd /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 | grep v4l

it shoudl aoutput somthing like: Load "v4l" # Video for Linux als you have to add (need root-access for this) int the file: /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 the following line in the "module"-section (it's the third section I think, but you'll see it....): Load "v4l" # Video for Linux

I suppose you have v4l...I'm hoping this :). ALthough I don't know if trying to load a module wich you don't have make syou rX-server crash at startup, since it doesn't exists..but I don't think it woudl..Anyway, you can juyst report

a positive or negative answer......

But if all are positive, I THINK it's a hardware problem..namely that you're hardwaqre doesn't support it.....