konqueror vs. nautilus

VeeDubb

Here is my problem, konqueror is UGLY. It has great functionality, and it's well integrated etc, but it's just plain ugly. Is there any way to make it look like nautilus, or make nautilus be better integrated (i.e. open the "Home" link oon the desktop, import all the file associaciont I've set up manualy with Konqueror etc.)

It just amazes me that on such a graphicaly rich distro, the default file browser is plug ugly.

Konq is only as ugly as your kde theme. If you mean backgrounds and such I thought konq could do that, but I've never tried.

I use nautilus...never thought I'd say that (I use to call it NOTilus), but it is beautiful. It's a lot faster than it use to be, and it's not and never has been functional for a newbie. To help with functionality it uses scripts. The problem is that they are not part of nautilus devel (if are then poorly managed) and as versions change the scripts must as well. Some work, some don't. There is also a pkg called nautilus-extras. Not sure exactly but I think it it's the media stuff like cd-burning and what not. The bottom line is that, like everything else with gnome, it takes more effort, knowlege, and/or the willingness to learn.

HOME

http://www.gnome.org/projects/nautilus/

SCRIPTS

http://g-scripts.sourceforge.net/

GOOGLE

google_nautilus_scripts

.....and, nautilus is horrible with copying large amounts of files. Check that they are moved or copied b4 deleting the original.

Okay, feeling pretty dumb right now. i just set nautlus to draw the desktop for me, so that it would become the default file manager, all went fine, but i forgot to select save for next login when I reboted, and now, the option is deselected,a nd i can't find it. Can anybody who isn't as inept as me tell me where that option is???

bvc is right, it doesn't work that way. I tried saving the session, and it didn't work. When i rebooted, the terminal was there, and konq was still drawing the desktop. And, the option was not in the menu. So, exactly what config files do I need to edit to make nautilus the default, because I'm realy growing fond of it.