Partitioning with Windows

Guest johnfogleman

I'M SURE the Mandrake installer DESTROYS all the datas of an NTFS partition when it resize it. It has to format it or something. Don't remember where I've read that but ... could someone confirm that plz?

So you have to use Partition Magic. I'm sure you can get the full version somewhere hey johnfogleman :wink: ?

But anna you are right with the 2 files. One of them is Pagefile.sys (swapfile) and the other one is hiberfil.sys (hybernate swapfile). The defrag tool cannot move them. So if it is at the end of the partition, it is not going to work.

MOttS

EDIT: Added hiberfil.sys

@Motts:

oops ... gee ... that must have been my lucky day when I installed MDK 9.1 on a pc with only ntfs partitions ...

thanks for the warning!

Ok so you managed to install MDK 9.1 on a computer having 1 HD partitioned in 1 big fat NTFS partition and it worked? Did you destroyed the whole partition and formated it ext3 OR you resized it and the stuff was still there after? .. just wondering.

MOttS

I did it on a computer from a friend, but first asking on a forum: does it work (got the answer that 'yes'), so i tried.

- 1 hd, 2 (!) ntfs partitions, one system, one for data.

I think (not sure) that the 2. partitions was resized.

And yes, nothing destroyed, all stuff there ...

Do you think that this is related to two partitions?

Well, I think I was wrong. It seems that 9.1 CAN resize NTFS partition without destroying the datas on it. Look:

http://www.mandrakeclub.com/article.php?sid=477 :

-Take a PC with at least one NTFS partition.

-Install ML 9.1 RC1 on it, and resize the NTFS partition(s). This can be done either during instalation, or afterwards (name of the program is harddrake)

-Reboot to Windows and see if it complains. :-)

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/9.1/features/#2 :

In addition to being able to resize NTFS partitions, the installation procedure provides many unique features such as offering various filesystems (including journalized filesystems EXT3, ReiserFS, XFS, and encrypted file systems), setting up RAID disks, and resizing MS-Windows FAT32 partitions.

So it seems that Linux can write to NTFS partition .. :shock: The third point of the first link say 'reboot windows and see if it complains' ... so the datas aren't destroyed. I guess the Kernel used for the installer has 'NTFS Write' suport enabled... I'm gonna try to patch my kernel and write to my XP partition :twisted: .. maybe write a little note in the FAQ about that if it works ;-)

MOttS

Guest johnfogleman

I have defraged many times, rebooted, and tried to install Mandrake. It still displays the message "Your drive is to fragmented to contine, reboot in Windows and run defrag" :!: Does anyone have any "step by step" :D instructions :?:

Guest fenrirwolf

OK, NTFS resizing works in 9.1 installer. But can it partition them as well? And can it change that partition into another file system (such as ext3?) And does it overwrite ANY existing data during any of these steps? Please speak-a the English, I can't understand smart people talk yet ;)

Yes, it can partition them-that is, it will create new partitions. and you can always reformat it to another filesystem (that is, change the filesystem). in all the steps you mention you will lose the data currently on that partition.

even when resizing you risk losing data.....so....

BACKUP! ;-)

(your data)

Guest fubar::chi
- With the trial version of PM you can't apply the changes

- i believe that you don't need PM

The defrag of your NTFS partition might be a problem because of two very big system files ( one is a sort of swap, the other a file to store information for the 'sleep-mode'), win can't 'move' them. And if they are at the end of the partition, MDK can't 'cut' some gig of there. It is secure to disable these two things, later you can re-enable it. What I did:

disable - restart your computer - do a scandisk - run defrag (look at the details, there you can see where your files are), you might have to do the defrag thing more than one time.

Now MDK should be able to resize the ntfs partition.

Maybe someone can help me here with the description, how to disable these function - i have a German XP...

the really big file with swap is the pagefile and if you want to you can delete it :twist: or reduce the size. however if you have a lot of ram > 512 mb you don't really need the pagefile.

another thing win might not want to move a big files like movies > 733 mb.

W A I T!!!!!!!!!!!

OK listen up: I have the best way to dual boot hands down. You'll have to reload windows, though, 'cause resizing causes poor performance ever after in windows.

Step 1

Pop in the Windows cd. Reboot. Delete ALL partitions. Make a partition big enough for windows + apps, like 20GB. Make another HUGE one for keeping all your music, downloads, movies, pictures, etc... leaving enough free unpartitioned space for linux (say 20GB at the end of the drive).

Step 2

Choose to install on the first part (20GB) as NTFS full format (not quick).

Step 3

Boot into windows when done and select the HUGE partition and right click - format full as FAT32, NOT NTFS. This will now be writable in both OS's!! Great for listening to the same MP3s in either, etc.

Step 4

Pop in mandrake (preferably 9.1) and reboot. Select the left over free space for / (or divvy it up for /, /usr, /home). Select the OTHER 500MB hard drive for swap. You'll get a bit better performance / stability this way.

Step 5

Be sure to install mandrake's boot loader to the MBR (master boot record). All done!

A perfect system. Now if you EVER have to update/upgrade either OS, all your music, etc stays! Enjoy!

I promise this system won't let you down. I say do it right the first time and enjoy everafter. Trust me - you'll want to upgrade both OSes eventually, and windows more often 'cause it always degrades slowly...

In the case where you reload windows, it'll write over the boot record and boot straight into win. Don't be afraid, linux isn't gone. You just boot off the first mandrake disk, press F2 and type rescue. One option is repair the bootload/MBR. Done!

I forgot to mention - this way also protects both OSes from the other. That is windows can't screw up something it can't detect, and linux can't write to NTFS as long as you don't get all adventerous/dangerous and go compiling NTFS write support in your kernel and modifying your /etc/fstab to mount the NTFS drive as rw (rewritable as opposed to ro - read-only).

If you're relectant to format and lose stuff on your windows now, borrow a friends burner and ask us how to hook it up so you can burn the stuff you need to keep. We're here for ya.