what is wrong with my rsynch?

ramfree17

does anybody have a site supporting rsynch? i am getting this error whenever i try

[ramfree@localhost ~]$ rsync rsync::ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu::

rsync: getaddrinfo: rsync 873: Name or service not known

rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(83)

anybody know the reason? or is the server just not supporting rsynch? basing on some posts and an article i got from the net, that server is indeed rsynchable. i tried some servers to but i still havent succeeded.

ciao!

carroll has been on the fritz lately.

does this..

yes, but mdkkdm is the only one that gives a list of os's to reboot to. So this doesn't solve the prob.
mean that you've tied other servers with the same response?

if it's just carroll that's giving you that response, i would bet she's just being a pain. i've been considering sending an e-mail to our ResCom department (i got to PSU-and work for ResNet at my campus) to ask them what's up...the gentoo folders went poof :unsure: so i think they're screwin' around up there.

can rsync use http? try that instead of ftp, i know before the gentoo folders disappeared ftp wouldn't work, i had to set up emerge to use http.

what protocol are you using?? :shock:

rsync:// and ftp:// at the same time??

It should be something like this (more or less):

~$ rsync rsync://carroll.cac.psu.edu:. .

or better, as the man page says:

~$ rsync carroll.cac.psu.edu::

HTH

confirmed, to retrieve the apache stuff in that server I had to do:

~$ rsync -avuzb carroll.cac.psu.edu::apache .

[...stuff...]

~$ ls

404.html  LICENSE-1.0.txt  LICENSE.txt  dist/  foundation/  images/      info/      mail/

CVS/      LICENSE-1.1.txt  dev/         dyn/   history/     images-old/  licenses/  mirrors/

~$

check the man page (section CONNECTING TO AN RSYNC SERVER)

HTH

carroll has been on the fritz lately.

does this..

yes, but mdkkdm is the only one that gives a list of os's to reboot to. So this doesn't solve the prob.
mean that you've tied other servers with the same response?

forgive me as i have just survived 2 days without a pc but did i say that? i have never used mdkkdm or any of those runlevel 5 managers as i always boot into run level 3.

and thanks aru. i dont know why it works now but i am sure it was not working the past few times i tried it. the ftp part in the address was part of the tutorial. i was also thinking why it was added in the first place. :?

anyway, ill try more of this tomorrow when i get home. thanks!

ciao!

According to the rsync website and mailing list, the code errors mean that rsync could not retrieve some files, or, to put it more exact, it could not verify it got one of the files or connection correctly.

This is a huge problem with rsync and there are millions of references on google about it. Them sot bizarre one I saw was that rsync would refuse to download some files for some reason, because of the owner/group tag, eventhough they were publicly available.

Oh well...

now im getting excited with this app (humor me, but this is my first linux brain activity in almost a month :#:). but how do i tell it to continue whatever its downloading when it gets interrupted? im on a dialup so i dont think i can download something bigger than 10MB in one connect session. i thought i read somewhere that i could use wget as the downloading utility but i cant find that tidbit in the manpage.

tia!

ciao!

No need for wget at all. Either if it could be done or not, the result will be very un-efficient.

You can use the flags "partial or P".

From rsync man page:

--partial

By default, rsync will delete any partially  trans

ferred file if the transfer is interrupted. In some

circumstances it is more  desirable  to  keep  par

tially   transferred  files.  Using  the  --partial

option tells rsync to keep the partial  file  which

should  make  a  subsequent transfer of the rest of

the file much faster.

[...]

-P     The  -P   option   is   equivalent   to   --partial

--progress.  I found myself typing that combination

quite often so I created an option to make it  eas

ier.

HTH ;)

forgive me as i have just survived 2 days without a pc but did i say that? i have never used mdkkdm or any of those runlevel 5 managers as i always boot into run level 3.

no you didn't (obviously), somehow i accidentally copy and pasted a section of text from another post instead of what i wanted from yours. i think i was half awake when i posted that...

No need for wget at all. Either if it could be done or not, the result will be very un-efficient.  

You can use the flags "partial or P".  

dang! i must be more brain-dead than i thought! :wub:

thanks aru! ill try it now if not for the fact that my modem seems to be emulating its ancestoral 14.4Kbps modems. :(

ciao!

If you want to mess a bit more with your linux and at the same time improve the quality of your connection give a look to these threads:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=4750

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=4986

The above stuff is meant to improve the quality of internet connection in a LAN to Dialup system; but I think that some of that stuff can be applied directly to modems too.

If you want to mess a bit more with your linux and at the same time improve the quality of your connection give a look to these threads:

sounds nice. the QoS stuff might come in handy to let p2p apps play nicely with rsync. thanks garu! :#:

ciao!