Howto Override Mandrake Control Centre Network Settings

kfoss

I know that this post is similar to a previous post, but I thought I would separate out this question to stand on its own...

How can I override the configuration that MCC sets up for my network? Can I somehow remove all profiles and start the network setup from scratch?

Kevin Foss

Ottawa, Canada

All MCC does is setup the various .conf files and other programs/files used for you system to do networking. you could go through and do it all manually, but I couldn't even begin to tell you how to do this....as i believe you're doing dial-up (if you posted the other question i think you posted) and i've never configured dial-up in linux (have had ethernet connection since i started using linux)

Yeah, i found it annoying because In used to have DHCP at work and static RFC address at home. In the end I just had two scripts that did it but I forget how since

a) Im now using DHCP at home

B) I'm not allowed my laptop in work cos I have to use winsh*t.

Much as the tools are great for a newbie theres nothing like knowing the config files.

If you just wanna play with your IP address thats one thing but if you need DHCP and PPP its a bit more complicated.

I didn't see your other post yet but if you just wanna change your IP you can just have two /etc/hosts files and override.

If you can be more specfic what parts you wanna override and what you wanna connect I'm sure you'll get some good responses.

Not from me though, tomorrow is a holiday and I'm away......