Many Virtual Domains For Just One Site - Apache

Guest Jose

Guest Jose

I will be running a web server with apache and I have the following questions:

I have a domain with other domains pointed to it. So if you type of any the domains, it goes to the first domain; for instance:

The main domain is www.east-harlem.com and www.east-harlem.net, www.east-harlem.org and www.east-harlem.info point to east-harlem.com. I was also thinking about including the non "www" part of the domain as virtual host entries. In reality there are 7 domains pointing to this one site. This is because my community (East Harlem) is known by a few different names. There are also spanish counter-parts.

In apache I can set up virtual domains, for all this, but it that the best way to go, it's over 15 virtual host entries. Is there a way shorten this? Does canonical names take care of this? Is there another way?

don't use virtual hosting.

just setup your webserver with your website ... and it will be the default website on your server. Then it doesn't matter what domain name you point at your server, it will always load the default website.

if you want different websites for each domain name, then you will need to use virtual hosting.

I can't belive it's that simple, who knew?  Thanks.  Less typing.

I guess it just a matter of pointing dns to the same ip.  Thanks.

yup .. .that simple, just point the dns records to your ip :wink: