Which updates do I actually need? [solved]

Guest Spiralgalaxy5

Guest Spiralgalaxy5

New Linux user wants to know: which updates do I actually need to install?

Hi, I'm really pleased with how Mandriva 2008.0 went onto my system (dual-boot with 98SE). I'm starting to find that I'm using Mandriva more & more often. Thanks to the superb included software, I have a good working internet connection via ADSL Modem/router using local network connection (ethernet) - assigned fixed addresses myself, configured the firewall, security settings and generally gave myself a pat on the back :) . I went to get updates (official mirror) and... 191 are available!!! Looking through the list I clearly don't need them all, but as I am not an experienced user how do I know which ones to include?!? My machine is a P3 450MHz so I don't want to add unnecessary burdens!

Isn't there a "critical/essential updates" filter that I can enable somewhere...?

Please help - thank you.

UK user

[moved from Tips & Tricks by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

The updates listed, are basically for all the packages installed on your system - so if there is an update, it is because you have an older package installed.

The only way to ensure you're not downloading something you don't need would to ensure that you don't have that package installed. Unfortunately, unless you know a bit about your system and what you need in terms of packages, it will be difficult for you to cherry-pick the updates.

But, if there are updates available, you need them because of security or bug fixes. Therefore, whatever you have installed, it's best to just install all the updates available. The reason you have a lot now, is because you're a little late installing Mandriva 2008.0 - it's been out almost six months. Therefore, if you'd installed it six months ago, you'd have had less updates to install all in one go.

Mandriva 2008.1 should be due any time shortly, so maybe you'll want to install this when it becomes available, rather than download all these updates now for 2008.0. The choice is up to you really on whether you want to use what you've just installed or not. You can of course, upgrade your existing system to 2008.1 when the CD/DVD images are released!

Hope that helps, and welcome to the board :beer:

Guest Spiralgalaxy5
The updates listed, are basically for all the packages installed on your system - so if there is an update, it is because you have an older package installed.

<snip>

Hope that helps, and welcome to the board :beer:

Cheers for that info Ian, I hadn't realised how quickly things change - I'll probably take the plunge with the updates.

Regards

Tim

Note that if you use the "One" CD, there are a number of drivers and software which will be installed and may not apply to your situation. All of these will be in the update list. It was explained to me that this is because "One" installs an image of the CD on the hard drive. If you install "Free" or "Powerpack", then you get to choose what gets installed to some extent.

I am also a new Mandriva user, and dual boot XP. I am extremely pleased with Mandriva thus far, and use it 99% of the time.

The first time I installed Mandriva, I went ahead and downloaded all the available updates. I had some problems with the system after. I decided to install again, and then only downkoaded the "security" updates. My system is fine now. I did not download any of the bug fixes, figuring if I come across a bug, I'll go back through the list and look for a fix. No bugs thus far,