Printing problems on my Laser Printer

neilinoz

I've just switched to Linux and been "converted" now for about a month. After all the usual major major hassles (how the hell do I connect to the internet?) I have settled on one major problem - printing.

Basically when I was using Win 98, I would occasionally print a document but forget to turn the printer on. After I turned it on it would spew out a page of gibberish and so I would cancel the printing, turn the printer off, then back on again... and I could print again properly.

Unfortunately the printer queue is more "hidden" in Linux (ie it took me a while to find the KDE control centre after being told to go lpq and lprm by Linux savvy people) but even when that problem was solved my stupid parallel port retains some information even after the queue is wiped clean - this means that when I clear the queue and turn the printer back on again, it continues to spew out gibberish. The only way I know how to get the information killed in the port is to turn the whole damn PC off and on again.

Naturally this is not an ideal process. I would like to know if there is some way of eliminating information in the parallel port when I clear the queue in the KDE CC and/or type lprm.

Any ideas?

I use CUPS

(Brother HL-730 plus laser printer)

I've run into this same problem and I found that unplugging the printer and letting it sit for a good 10 minutes without any power or anything else would clear it....but this may not work for you, and heck it's not even a good solution :-/

(the best solution is to remember to turn on your printer ;-) )

command line (faster):

To list the contents of the queue: /usr/bin/lpq

To cancel jobs: either /usr/bin/lprm or /usr/bin/cancel

see the man pages for those commands

The unplug/plug trick works for me instantly, no need to wait 10 minutes, but I guess that will depend on the printer and its memory

I've had the same problem SOEMTIMES, tried cancel..doesn't help. The jobs are cancelled, but the printer (HP 843C for me) just keeps going. This is very annoying! Luckily, it only happens from time to time. If anyone knows the solution to this(cancel doesn't help, i've askd for the queue..it's empty, but the printer keeps on going....))...

When my printer is offline and i print things, it automatically turns itself on and start printintg. No problems there for me, only the cancel-thing.

Thanks for all your help - I have to propose that there has to be SOME software type solution to this problem simply because printing under Microsoft Windows does not have the same amount of hassle. You turn off the printer? It doesn't keep printing.

I'll try the unplug trick - the problem is that it is faster to halt the system and restart it than to wait 10 minutes, so I'll try it (but I hate having to stretch over and unplug it the lazy sod that I am)

In cups the cups controls allow me to stop the printers nicely, I have 3: 1 usb connected inkjet to my machine, 1 laser connected to my girlfriends machine via parallell cable, one network laser printer (1200dpi b/w, sweet).

Start- configuration - printing - cups www (or whatever).

If it asks to login, use 'root' and the root password.

For me this works fine on all cups printers.

• 1 year later...

I have the same issue.

I'm using MDK 10.1 with Canon LBP-4U. Whenever I want to cancel a job, I first turn the printer off-line, then I cancel the job through icon I have installed for KDE print manager on my KDE panel. But it is not that simple. I have to go to shell window as root, do a "ps -aux" and see if there are any jobs starting with "parallel:". Then I "kill -9 [process ID here]".

I think the system should not be this complicated. Perhaps we should file a bug? If someone could point me the direction, I would do it, as I am sOOOOO annoyed of this strenious way of cancelling print jobs.