oooops...help with grub/installing anything!

bvc

Well, for $10.00 more than an Antec duel fan 350W, I got an Antec ATX box with a single fan 300W PSU. Then for $20.00 more I got 2 case fans for proper cooling. It's currently running 10 degrees cooller than usual. I wanted to get out of the Micro ATX box because of the lack of cooling options, and because I plan to get a new MoBo next spring and hopefully and new cpu as well. First priority is dumping this 66fsb :roll: that's slowing me down. :wink: Man I wish I'd done this a year ago :P

Thanks again!

Just a quick update;

from another thread I wrote:

"ML9.1 was using grub, but decided to freak on me again, so I was using lilo, until JUST last night I finally installed libranet2.8. Well, it installed grub and AGAIN, when hiding win partitions, it freaked. Now, no lilo, no grub, no ML9.1 rescue mode, so I do an upgrade rt?....WRONG....it wants to do an install, gets to diskdrake, and all linux partitions are gone! Probably overlapping again, so I'll run parted tonight and see. I don't know what grubs prob is or what is causing grub probs, exactly, but this is getting old."

I'm not sure it's grub or something in the libranet install. Since your probably heading for another low level format and reinstalling, try installing win98 then mandrake with grub and see if you get the same problem. I assume libranet is doing some partitioning during the install and that may be what's screwing things up. To test this theory, if you have an option in the libranet install to install on existing partitions try that.

Win98 is fine. I reinstalled ML-9.1 and Libranet, but this time I chose not to install Libranets grub and chose the bootfloppy option, which installs grub on the floppy. I'm using ML9.1's lilo and all is well (I guess). I think you're right though.....grub doesn't like something that the libranet installer is doing to the partition table which, if this is the case, it's kinda scary because that means either lilo doesn't see it or is ignoring it. Thanks for the suggetsion....if there's a next time, Win98 and Libranet will be the only 2 installed :wink:

• 1 month later...

Don't mean to revive this ancient thread, but I came across something that bothered me while installing gentoo some time ago and realized today that it may have some relevance to your problem. Here's the warning re grub included in the gentoo install docs:

Important: If you are installing Gentoo Linux on a system with an NVIDIA nForce or nForce2 chipset with an integrated GeForce graphics card, you should use LILO and avoid GRUB. With on-board video enabled, the low memory area of your RAM may be used as video RAM. Since GRUB also uses low memory at boot time, it may experience an "out of memory" condition. So, if you have an nForce or potentially other board with on-board video, use LILO. Even if you're using off-board video right now, it would be nice to be able to remove the graphics card and use the on-board video in a pinch, wouldn't it? :)

As I recall, you where getting memory allocation errors with grub. Thought the above might have some relevance and you would like to know. I've never seen this warning anywhere else.